Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
When not in the UK, you will need to use a VPN service to fool BBC/ITV's servers into thinking you're still connected to the internet in Britain (obviously I'm assuming you have a TV licence and have checked the law both in Britain, and wherever you reside right now).

I would personally recommend Tunnel Bear as
a) They offer 500Mb of data for free each month (perfect to check you're happy with it before committing to $2.99 a month (or $4.99 if you want to use it on another Android device and a PC) for unlimited data) and
b) Once installed, it really is very easy to use. I'll write out the instructions for it below, it may look long, but I've just tried to write out each part in detail. I've heard they are updating their application soon, so if anything below doesn't work, or happens in a different order, my apologies in advance.

If you've not yet opened Google's "Play Store" app on your device, I'd recommend installing TunnelBear that way.
Bring up the list of installed Android applications, look for Play Store. Click it, enter your Google (GMail most likely) user name and password. Click enough OK or Yes buttons to leave you at their application store interface. Top right there should be a search box. Enter "TunnelBear VPN", and you should see one result with a highly stylized T with a wooden background. Install it, tick the box that asks if you want to allow automatic updates. If asked, tell Google you're happy to update at any time, whether on WiFi or not.
Once it is installed, return to the list of installed apps. You'll now see a TunnelBear icon. Open it up - you'll likely be asked to install another application (Tun.ko Installer). This is fine, it is a required component to allow OpenVPN connections. Complete that installation (don't worry, you'll only need to do all this once!), click on Open, in the new window click Install, if asked grant permission, and if "Tun module not installed" is displayed, click Install once more.
Exit the program and return to the TunnelBear app, where you'll need to create an account with them. I believe there is a link in the app, if not, check their website. You'll probably need to confirm your e-mail address really is yours (click a link in the message they send to you). If requested, reboot, otherwise, try flipping the On/Off switch to On. Assuming no error messages are produced, all you would need to do now is flick the country selection switch to UK.

HOWEVER, turn the switch back to OFF before exiting. As you only get 500Mb per month for free, there is no point in using their services unless and until a) You are abroad (assuming you're setting this up before you leave Britain) and b) Need to pretend you are still in Britain.

Games, 99.9% of apps, visiting websites on your device don't need you to have a UK IP address. Turn on TunnelBear when watching online content that otherwise complains you aren't at home. If you have a twitter account, don't forget to click on the link at their website to tweet about them - it took about 20 minutes for them to then credit my account with an extra 1Gb for that month. Tweet once a month for an extra Gb per month. If you do decide to go with their $2.99/$4.99 unlimited bandwidth plan, no need to tweet.

If, by the time you decide to install Tunnel Bear, you have already used Google Play Store on your device, just click this link, click on the Install button, sign in if you're not already, and if you have more than one Android device (phone, tablet etc.) associated with your Google login, select the only model list that probably has a slightly cryptic name. Then return to the previous paragraph and follow from "Once it is installed, return to the list of installed" sentence onwards.

I should probably point out we're not at all affiliated with TunnelBear - you're free to choose other providers and if their service stops working, we'll not be able to assist directly. That said, if you are unsure about something, let me know and I'll try to help where I can.

Please note you should only ever watch online media when you have consent from the copyright holder. If you don't have permission, please don't break any laws.

PLEASE NOTE THE DATE OF THIS ARTICLE, PRICES HAVE LIKELY RISEN.

Last edited:
Reactions: pibitvillage
Status
Not open for further replies.