RyanH

Apr 23, 2016
If that's the case, it's not very good.. Well, not for us!
Great business plan, granted.. (get the suckers in, then leave them high and dry after 12 months or so) and reel in the new customers..

It seems like others, i am also suffering the same upgrade problems.. Or should i say a lack of them.

I have A T8 which i bought in December 2015, it's running Kitkat and no hope of upgrading to Krypton as the current firmware specs don't allow it. I've tried to download Krypton from the Play store, it says version not compatible. Obviously! I've tried downloading both regular and nightly APK's from Kodi.tv both on the box via the browser, and also by manually placing them on the SD card via the laptop, nothing works.. It just gives a "can't open file" or "cannot parse file" options no matter what i do.. So i'm at a dead end!
It seems that before you can upgrade to Krypton, you need to be running version 6.0, i'm on 4.4.2, which it's always been on, and the Droidbox team haven't issued any firmware upgrades to make the jump since so i'm stuck with it.

Now normally upgrading to a newer version of Kodi wouldn't bother me, i'd be quite happy to stay on 16.2, but i received this TVAddons notification tonight, saying i HAD to upgrade to Krypton in order to still be able to stream for the forseeable future..

This is direct from their site.. "This might not be the news you want to hear, but upgrading to the latest version of Kodi is pretty much necessary if you want to continue to enjoy streaming the way you want to. More and more streaming sites are moving to HTTPS, and older versions of Kodi do not offer HTTPS support. This means that at this point you really have no choice but to upgrade to Kodi 17.1 Krypton. This isn’t something that’s just going to go away, might as well do it now."

So you can see my problem. It's an urgent matter and a problem that needs rectifying ASAP!

If not being able to upgrade to Krypton is going to stop me from using the box i bought to use with Kodi, it's pretty much worthless from now on until Droidbox decide to offer some sort of 4.4 to 6.0 upgrade.. Will we be seeing this ever or am i gonna have to sell this box and upgrade to a new one??

I mean come on guys, if you're willing to sell the boxes, perhaps your main focus should be keeping the customers who buy them, updated monthly with new OTA upgrades to keep them running.. It's not fair to keep adding more models if you can't keep track of simple firmware upgrades making existing customers fall behind in terms of service in favour of new ones..

dan murphy

Nov 27, 2015
Sorry have to disagree. i have a T8s and its brilliant. Cost less than £100 and still plenty of life in it. Great value for money

David Savage

Aug 3, 2014
Somewhere over the rainbow
No one knows what the future holds, yes the T8 is on kit-kat, but just because TV addons say upgrade now is nothing to worry about.
I own a droidbox go and playon and are both on kit-kat and have plenty of life left in them.
TV add-ons always do this, they just what everyone to upgrade which if you can is great, but not a necessity.
Kodi 15.2 is still running well, OK some add-on don't work but loads of others do.

Enjoy

Nigelar

Feb 26, 2015
Agree with David. The chip used by the Droidbox t8 (amlogic s802) is not capable of running android 5 (the minimum requirement for Kodi 17, not android 6). Honesty, if it is not technically capable I cannot see how Droidbox are to blame for that. It is something that is common to all other suppliers of boxes containing the s802 processor.

In the meantime, there is no need to update or go out and buy a Kodi 17 compliant machine unless you want to. The tvaddons notice was a gross exaggeration of the position. Maybe, at some point in the future it will be necessary but not now.

At the end of the day, technology moves on. My ipad2 no longer gets OS updates from Apple. It is missing some functions but still works for most things. Your Droidbox t8 currently falls into the same boat.

Fritz-69

May 28, 2016
There are plenty of other ways to watch TV and Movies without kodi. There are loads of apps out there that will work on android 4.4.2.

Also via your web browser if you want to. i.e. http://kohimovie.info/

As it stands, streaming is still legal in the uk. Downloading is where you are breaking the law.

The point is your box will last for a good time yet.

RyanH

Apr 23, 2016
Yeah, maybe.

I mean the video add-ons still work and that's my main focus here. Ok, some them are having a few teething troubles at the min, like SALTS no longer working, and Exodus seems to keep failing to update one day, then fine the next, there are a few that seem glitchy, that sort of thing, but i think that is down to the developers of certain ones so not gonna hold Droidbox responsible for that..

It just got me thinking though, i don't like the idea of having spent £80 on a box which is supposed to be top notch and then becomes processor limited after 12 months or more, leaving me unable to upgrade to Krypton.. Especially when the majority of the billy no make £30 boxes on ebay run it fine..

Fritz-69

May 28, 2016
I've noticed a beta update for the original T8-S today. So things are looking up for you. You can try it now, or wait for the OTA release.

Sent From Experia X Mobile Phone

Reactions: SmokingElectronics

Fritz-69

May 28, 2016
Sorry, I just realised you have an original T8, not T8-S. The update I mentioned isn't for your model.

Sent From Experia X Mobile Phone

Reactions: SmokingElectronics

RyanH

Apr 23, 2016
I'm not a T8-S, or the plus V1, V2, or the mini.. i'm on just the regular T8.

SmokingElectronics

Jan 13, 2017
Hilbilly heaven
willitblend.com
If you are dead set on updating it look at my recent post on kodi 16 dying I have a mxq same chipset

Kodi 16 like many other people have said still runs but yes allot of addons salts and some sources are starting to error out

But be warned that the members who know more about this are right if you force these older boxes to take 17 I have it running mostly stable key word mostly

I recommend staying with 16 like everyone else says until the boat takes on too much water

RyanH

Apr 23, 2016
Well i'm prepared to stick with it for the time being, but if the addons and source errors start to be come too problematic and very hit and miss, i'll just sell this and buy a newer box.

SmokingElectronics

Jan 13, 2017
Hilbilly heaven
willitblend.com
Droidboxes are worth the money, and the time I wish I had known about them before I got this mxq. A Droidbox with thischipset is more likely to be stable than my mxq

My mxq works for a day or so then click on the wrong source etc I have to power off otherwise somewhat stable 17

Im not paid given free or anything by Droidboxes but I am a technology nerd and the research backs them up local company so to speak compared to China better support email logs from the boxes this forum where they even deal with me lol
And much more the last year i have spent learning about and researching tv boxes all over you tube the net etc

You can buy a state of the art pc 15 grand a month later it's already outdated i stopped doing pcs because it was changing to much to fast spent my life learning just to have to start over again and over again

Good luck take care

sean99

Aug 7, 2014
Well i'm prepared to stick with it for the time being, but if the addons and source errors start to be come too problematic and very hit and miss, i'll just sell this and buy a newer box.
Click on the link to download FTMC apk. It is a fork of kodi and after installing this apk you will now have full access to http and https links on kodi 16.1 Meaning that ur exdous on Jarvis will work just as it does on Krypton. http://freak-tab.de/luis/Ftmc/FTMC-16.1-armeabi-v7a-Build-25.apk

Last edited:

onjonone

Dec 7, 2015
I'd agree that it is a big spend if it can't be updated

"Every year hardware manufacturers release new iterations of their products. From Apple to Samsung to Nintendo, the upgrade treadmill never ends. So, why do we feel the need to buy into it every year? We'll show you why you get stuck on the upgrade treadmill, and how to be happy with what you have.

At Amazon's recent press conference for the new Kindle Fire, CEO Jeff Bezos calls the phenomonon of constant new gadgets the "upgrade treadmill:"

http://lifehacker.com/5942915/how-t...-treadmill-and-stop-wasting-money-on-new-tech

my TS-8 is the same so this time I've gone for this spec:

Amlogic S912 64 bit Octa core ARM Cortex-A53 CPU up to 2 GHz

- GPU: ARM Mali-T820MP3

- DDR3 2GB, eMMC Flash 16GB

- Android 6.0 marshmallow System

- Support 2.4G/5G Dual Band Wifi, 1000M LAN ,Bluetooth 4.0

- Video Output UHD 4K and H.265 Hardware Decoding

it cost me £8.00 delivered at that price it's less that a single DVD that's my method of upgrading, maybe this is more realistic, don't bother spending much money on a droidbox or any other for that matter as you might have to buy one every year.

SmokingElectronics

Jan 13, 2017
Hilbilly heaven
willitblend.com
I'm a old fart I still love pent 4 windows xp 5 years ago or so i just started using tablets 2 years ago i just angrily switched to a smartphone it never rings i have to much data and texts lmao im lonely:(:confused: but my cat loves me lmao:D:p I just learned about tv boxes over the last year it's been awesome i love learning more and more I'm a science and technology engineering tec pcs networks cars if I can tear it apart and learn about it and fix it i love stuff using the crap not as much fun or of interest that's where my problems have always been i fixed and program it great but the rest of it i never got into I get bored and distracted never did well in school not enough hands on

Nufc4life82

Nov 20, 2014
u can get a version of kodi called libreelec which I have on my t8s and will work on the t8 it boots straight into kodi instead of android then an app and works on soc802 chipsets very well