lordtoran

Aug 26, 2016
Bochum, NRW, Germany
Ok, finally got around to tinker with the T8 Mini again and update to Android 6. I followed the instructions in the original post, did a factory reset too and after that got another OTA update. So far I haven't tested LibreELEC, only Android.

Very nice: My ext4 (Linux) formatted USB harddisk now mounts flawlessly without a third part app :D Besides that, some minor things I noted and wrote down so far:

• The Android 6 build doesn't play so well with my TV regarding its image size/aspect ratio settings. If I select automatic (the default on my TV) or any specific aspect ratio, the output ends up slightly larger than the physical screen. I need to select fullscreen in my TV's display size settings to have the T8 Mini's output exactly screen sized. BTW I recently added a powered HDMI switch to my setup so the T8 Mini is not directly connected to the TV anymore, however even with the switch the screen size issue was not present before the software update.
  • German in the first-run wizard (on Android) is still very lacking. Many buttons are labeled with somewhat out-of-context terms. I think a native language user should have a look at it.
  • After the first reboot, Android's language (but not the regional settings) reverted back to English :confused: I set it back to German and after that it stayed that way.
  • Would it be possible to integrate a keyboard layout selection into the wizard, or have it auto-select a layout according to the language?

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
Good request at the end there, will pass on to coders (keyboard layout tie in to language selection in first run wizard) and ask them to add if feasible.

Re screen size, when connecting a new device to my TV I make sure that 1:1 pixel mapping (or the closest equivalent with aspect ratio selection) is turned on in the TV, then I disable auto HDMI mode, set to the native resolution of the TV and normally select the 60Hz refresh option. Most of the time screen size adjustments are required on a DroidBOX, at least when I connect to customers remotely to assist, the wrong resolution was in use, or 14:9/zoom/etc modes have been selected on the TV. Thanks for letting us know about the changes in this fw with regard to size etc.