DroidBox User

Apr 20, 2018
On other Android devices that I have see, including a DroidBox T8-S (Android 4.4.2), at the top there is a thin statusbar which display items being downloaded, and Wifi status, and can be pulled down to show Status messages and Settings. Also at the bottom there are Button that allow navigaton (Back, Top, Recent, Volume+, Volume-)

These are not on this item. Is there a setting that needs to be adjusted ?. Else why are they not on this device also?

-

Solution? : Use AmLogic Customisation Tool

For editing Firmware in the image file format (.img) only:

AmLogic Customisation Tool

Usage Notes
  • Switch to English language interface using the 2nd menu's 1st menu item.
  • Install and configure the required Java Development Kit (JDK), by reading the user manual: 3rd menu's 3rd menu item.
  • When loading a firmware image file, and being prompted to set the customisation level, do not leave the last selection option checked (Set Default Setting/UnPack System APK) as it will cause a error to be displayed (Do not Detect JDK environment! please instant JDK first). This option is a preset that selects some of the other options, so after it has been checked, uncheck it.

Allows unpacking the image, editing the image (through user interface, and/or manually) and repackaging/regenerating the firmware image file (.img).

Would like replies on anyone who successfully makes any modifications (however minor) and the device model and modifications. Post at this topic Firmware Image File (.IMG) Editing Tool - Download: AmLogic Customisation Tool

Note: Flashing firmware, is a risky operation that can leave your device faulty. Also this tool can be dangerous if misused. Must be careful in what is modified, especially any modifications to the Recovery Menu. Use at your own risk.

Some Possible Modification Ideas
  • Modify Start Up Logo
  • Modify Boot Up Logo
  • Modify Boot Up Animation
  • Modify Pre-Installed Apps
  • Modify Interface Resolution
  • Enable Top System Status Bar
  • Enable Bottom System Navigation Buttons

Last edited:

Nigelar

Feb 26, 2015
The functionality is not included on many android 5 powered machines using the same processor as the T8-S plus v1.
For whatever reason the functionality was omitted from the original firmware provided by the processor manufacturer.
You will also note that Google play updates are not automatically provided and you have to get them manually from the play store.
I also notice that functionality had been restored in android 6 machines like the Droidbox t8 mini).

DroidBox User

Apr 20, 2018
Does any one know how to go about obtaining the unmodified firmware directly from the processor manufacturer (so that the user can customise it themselfs and use it). Information on where to ask?

Nigelar

Feb 26, 2015
Here is an article on how someone created an unbranded firmware for machines running the s905x chip. I assume a similar process applies to other chipsets.

The author provides links to where you can get firmwares from although I doubt any of them are from original developers (e.g. amlogic).

hxxp://www.instructables.com/id/X96-Android-TV-Box-Updating-the-Firmware/

(Replace xx with tt)

Who knows though. If you write to Amlogic nicely, identifying clearly the ROM you want they may provide it. Although, somehow I doubt it.

Nigelar

Feb 26, 2015
Amlogic are the "owners" of the original firmware. Access is available under open source agreements but they require developers to sign a Service Level Agreement / Non Disclosure Agreement.

Have you approached Amlogic yet which is the route I proposed?

DroidBox User

Apr 20, 2018
We provide the firmware for the majority of our devices. For example, you can find the T8-S Plus v1 firmware at https://www.droidboxforums.com/threads/firmware-links-for-t8-s-plus-v1-devices.10001/ . We do not have any firmware modification tools.

If you have no source firmware and no firmware tools, then how do you go about replacing/inserting the DroidBox logo and animation as the startup screens ?, and also the other DroidBox pre-insalled apps ?, (DroidBox Market, DroidBox Share). Also generating the firmware updates.

DroidBox User

Apr 20, 2018
Amlogic are the "owners" of the original firmware. Access is available under open source agreements but they require developers to sign a Service Level Agreement / Non Disclosure Agreement.

Have you approached Amlogic yet which is the route I proposed?

Yes, only yesterday, still waiting.

Nigelar

Feb 26, 2015
If you have no source firmware and no firmware tools, then how do you go about replacing/inserting the DroidBox logo and animation as the startup screens ?, and also the other DroidBox pre-insalled apps ?, (DroidBox Market, DroidBox Share). Also generating the firmware updates.

Well of course they have the source firmware. As I have pointed out @DroidBox User, they are not allowed to hand it out willynilly to any tom, dick or harry. That's what the sla/nda that amlogic asks developers to agree is all about.

DroidBox User

Apr 20, 2018
You might want to view this page and see if it is helpful. I don't know if any of the linux code actually links to anything as this stuff is relatively old.
http://openlinux.amlogic.com/Android/Mbox/4.4_ReleaseInfo

That's for Android 4.4 ?, yes there is a 5.1 page.

But I do not want to look into that path, yet, or maybe ever, as that would be the default firmware, the DroidBox device may have other components added to make use of other hardware (such as Wi-Fi device software drivers). So if the default firmware was used it would cause faults/bugs in the device. Need to be more intelligently. precisely.

DroidBox User

Apr 20, 2018
Well of course they have the source firmware. As I have pointed out @DroidBox User, they are not allowed to hand it out willynilly to any tom, dick or harry. That's what the sla/nda that amlogic asks developers to agree is all about.

I did not know about this/these restrictions.

But they do not need to give the source firmware. They maybe can, if restrictions allow, at least provide the customisation tool for the generated firmware file (as used to update the device, usually). ?

Nigelar

Feb 26, 2015
There is little more I can add. I have tried to help you to the best of my ability. I suggest you research the freaktab pages if you, for whatever reason, want to tinker further with your machines firmware. There is lots of good advice there.
I believe Droidbox have already replied to you regarding the customisation tool.
Good luck.
Thank you for your help.

sean99

Aug 7, 2014
Not sure about 'the generating the f/w' part but the other things you want to change are achievable using es file explorer. Device/ etc is the path to follow in there, would make a backup of that same folder before changing anything. Not really recommended if your not familiar with the droidbox f/w files, you could end up bricking your box.

DroidBox User

Apr 20, 2018
There is little more I can add. I have tried to help you to the best of my ability. I suggest you research the freaktab pages if you, for whatever reason, want to tinker further with your machines firmware. There is lots of good advice there.
I believe Droidbox have already replied to you regarding the customisation tool.
Good luck.
Thank you for your help.

This is the type of tool(s) I talk of:

DroidBox User

Apr 20, 2018
For editing Firmware in the image file format (.img) only:

AmLogic Customisation Tool

Usage Notes
  • Switch to English language interface using the 2nd menu's 1st menu item.
  • Install and configure the required Java Development Kit (JDK), by reading the user manual: 3rd menu's 3rd menu item.
  • When loading a firmware image file, and being prompted to set the customisation level, do not leave the last selection option checked (Set Default Setting/UnPack System APK) as it will cause a error to be displayed (Do not Detect JDK environment! please instant JDK first). This option is a preset that selects some of the other options, so after it has been checked, uncheck it.

Allows unpacking the image, editing the image (through user interface, and/or manually) and repackaging/regenerating the firmware image file (.img).

Would like replies on anyone who successfully makes any modifications (however minor) and the device model and modifications. Post at this topic Firmware Image File (.IMG) Editing Tool - Download: AmLogic Customisation Tool

Note: Flashing firmware, is a risky operation that can leave your device faulty. Also this tool can be dangerous if misused. Must be careful in what is modified, especially any modifications to the Recovery Menu. Use at your own risk.

Some Possible Modification Ideas
  • Modify Start Up Logo
  • Modify Boot Up Logo
  • Modify Boot Up Animation
  • Modify Pre-Installed Apps
  • Modify Interface Resolution
  • Enable Top System Status Bar
  • Enable Bottom System Navigation Buttons

Last edited: