XC-3730C

May 3, 2016
I currently have two Amazon Fire TV boxes, and I want to get a DroidBox T8-S Plus, but I am wondering if I can use Android TV apps on the DroidBox? Reason is, the Android TV apps like WWE Network, MLB.TV, and Hulu Plus support the remote control.

I want to get a,DroidBox as a cheaper alternative for my brother, but it would be nice if it could utilize Android TV apps.

Thanks!

Last edited:

shah nissar

Android Tv Expert
Mar 30, 2015
Which apps are you referring to, to be specific? The box is itself is famous for Tv content through Kodi and other android based apps.

XC-3730C

May 3, 2016
I have a rooted Nvidia Shield TV (which uses Android TV apps). How would I grab an APK from it?

As far as Android TV apps, I use MLB.tv, WWE Network, Hulu Plus, History Channel, Sling TV, and a few others. The reason I use those vs standard Android apps, is because the Android TV apps has much better support for a remote control, and I don't want to have to use a mouse and keyboard in front of my TV

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
Re mouse and keyboard, something like the VIP or i8 remote controls would help there.
Re grabbing the applications, ES File Explorer can back up applications, or you could go for overkill with something like Titanium Backup from the Play Store.

XC-3730C

May 3, 2016
Ok I will use ES,File explorer later today to grab an Android TV APK

XC-3730C

May 3, 2016
@SilentlyScreaming,

Did you get a chance to test the app I uploaded? I want to get this box, and be cable to use Android TV apps (like those on a Fire TV or Shield TV) on this box

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
Catching up with the forum now, apologies for not getting back to you, was off sick recently.

TL;DR? App installed and updated (HAVE to use the DroidBOX Market option when offered). Don't have an account to test with, tried the free 7 day option, didn't work. Set VPN to USA and the application proceeded. No video playback testing completed, so can't guarantee it'll work.

T8-S Plus, installed the APK linked to above, no errors reported during standard installation screens.
Opened up for the first time, it told me I needed to upgrade to the latest version before proceeding.
OK button was only option, it then asked if I wanted DroidBOX Market or Google Play Store to be used.
Play Store came back with "This item is not available in your country"
Tried DroidBOX Market, which gave me Open/Update/Install options. Uninstall not going to help, open would just loop round again, so went for Update. After downloading it went through the standard Android application install/update screens, updated OK.
As I don't have a Sling account I couldn't sign in, so went for the Watch 7 days FREE! option.

more to come, posting now so I don't lose screenshot or text.
20160525_114426_0.png

Tried the same with a VPN in America set up, it progressed:

20160525_114750_0.png

However, I have not signed up for an account (need to enter billing details), so can't guarantee that actual video playback will work.

If you've another Android TV application that can be tested, that doesn't require credit card details to be entered, let me know and I'll test again.

[edit]
If you've a login for the service, and can change the password afterwards (for your own reassurance), I'm happy to enter these, shoot me a PM if you want to try this. For testing purposes only, will uninstall afterwards!

Last edited:

Mario K

Aug 11, 2016
Hi, I am interested in a T8 mini. how would I get the apps you have listed under your apps section. I am in the US so I am interested in installing network apps like ABC CBS NBC and cable apps like mlb bravo and mtv. Also can I install other apps from the Google play store that are not listed in your apps section or can I use browser to watch as if I was on a PC and is there an default internal player for that? Thanks

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
Sounds familiar, think I may have replied to this in an e-mail yesterday. Just in case that was someone else:
Most of the entries on our Apps page can be found in the DroidBOX Market application and/or Google's Play Store. Let us know if you struggle to find one of them, and I'll get it looked into.
Yes you DEFINITELY can install applications not listed on that page. Not just Google's Play Store, but other marketplaces will also work fine.
Yes, you can also use the built in browser (or alternative browsers from our market or the Play Store) to view videos through media provider's websites. If the video is Flash-based then you may need to install a new browser, but the community here can offer advice there if needed.
Internal player - if you click on a video and get offered different (pre- or newly- installed) video player applications, I'd recommend trying MX Player first.

XC-3730C

May 3, 2016
I am also interested to see if Hulu, Netflux, and Hyperspin would work. I have all of those on my Shield TV, but interested in this device as a cheaper alternative.