conor

Nov 10, 2014
Hello, my dog bit threw a bag i had my t8s in damaging the aerial and now it seems to be affecting live tv,an sometimes the screen just goes pure black saying no signal, anyway of getting a new one of these are will i just have to buy new box? thanks in advance.

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
Also (if a network cable would involve drilling through walls/floors) it could be worth looking at mains networking, where your house's existing mains cabling is used as a network cable. TP-Link models have served me well, but that is just a personal experience/opinion, rather than an official DroidBOX recommendation.

If your warranty has run out (or isn't important to you, especially after the canine savaging!) and you're handy with a soldering iron, you probably could bodge a new aerial and connection to the device, but... officially....:
Don't remove the cover to your DroidBOX. Don't alter the circuits or modify the case.

jonajuna

Jan 2, 2016
As a licensed radio amateur. ... please don't use ethernet over powerline.

It turns your house wiring into a huge transmitter sending spurious RF radiation effecting others tv reception, emergency radio comms and even others WiFi.

OFCOM the UK’s regulatory body is investigating the use of these things due to the problems they cause as unlike WiFi there is no regulation on them currently

Many of those that understand the huge RF issues caused are hoping they will be banned before long.

CAT6e cable is happy over many many tens of metres. Personally I have run CAT5e over 30 metres with no degradation in data speeds

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
Thanks for the contrasting viewpoint there, always welcome.
If changes are made to the design of future models, and frequencies in use for radio hams/emergency services are left alone, perhaps we'll be able to add convenience to people's lives without effecting neighbours who currently suffer interference.
I'm not so sure Ofcom will actually go ahead and implement a blanket ban on all these devices, I remember a Nordic country banned some specific models that were found to not meet current regulations/guidelines they had in place. Again, if there are specific models that will always cause problems, perhaps we'll see a selective whittling of available models.
That said, with all the Chinese drop shipping websites, any "banned" products will still make it into the UK quite easily I suspect.

jonajuna

Jan 2, 2016
The worst offending powerline adaptors are those from major broadband providers. Not sure even regulation of them will solve the problem though, the physics of RF combined with increasing pressure on the radio spectrum will mean the (continuing) obsolescence of RF noisy equipment (those designed to transmit being excluded)

How many people remain confused when they light up their houses for Christmas and knock out their dsl and/or WiFi keeps dropping out? That's just a small amount of spurious RF. Powerline adaptors create far more.

Attached a screen cap of the 2.4g networks I see from my house in small rural town. .... we won't lose radio traffic, we'll only ever get more

Screenshot_2016-03-03-18-24-09.png