ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
Please note one method to switch back to Android isn't working, decide if important to you, before flashing please.

Before installing this beta, please use the OTA Updates application in Android to update your system first. Shah's video below shows how to do this if you've not used the app before.

Changes

Kodi 17.1 > 17.3
Fix for fault when switching between HD and SD video formats

THIS UPDATE IS FOR THE v2 EDITION OF THE T8-S PLUS. If you have the original (v1) T8-S Plus, do NOT flash this update, at best it won't work, at worst it could brick your device.

If you have a different device, do not follow the instructions in this thread, at best it won't work, at worst it could brick your device.

Long term members will know the score, you can skip a paragraph or two...

This file is likely to be part of an OTA update in the near future. It is not yet official. If you do not want to factory reset your device, or don't have the time to report any issues found, please wait for our next official OTA update.

However, if you know what the Recovery menu is, how to access it, and are happy to help trace issues to their root cause, LibreELEC 8.0.2 with Kodi 17.3 is available for your DroidBOX T8 Mini.

File to download: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AlRdlhGu3fjihwV8lnm2olPanzaz
If you are on a Mac, you may need to this first: https://wiki.umbc.edu/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=31919091

What to do:
  • Copy the ZIP file (do not decompress it, you should only have one file called LibreELEC-DroidBOX.aarch64-T8Mini-8.0.2-update.zip to copy, and it should be just over 141Mb) to an SD memory card
  • Turn your DroidBOX off and safely eject the card from your PC/Mac/other device, and insert the card in the DroidBOX T8-S Plus v2's memory card slot
  • Holding down the Restore button on the right hand side (behind the USB socket), press the power button once to turn on the T8-S Plus v2. DO NOT LET GO OF THE RESTORE BUTTON YET.
  • Once you see the Recovery menu on screen, release the Restore button.
  • Click on the "Apply Update from EXT" option.
  • This time, click the "Update from sdcard" entry.
  • Click on LibreELEC-DroidBOX.aarch64-T8Mini-8.0.2-update.zip file
  • Once the process completes, select the Wipe Data/Factory Reset option (this will effect Android as well as LibreELEC)
  • Confirm you are sure
  • Once this process completes, select the Start Android option.

The following video shows the process. Although in this case we're flashing a LibreELEC beta firmware, rather than a ZIP file with an official OTA update, the steps remain the same.

Let us know if you encounter any issues, the more detail the better.

As with the first LE8 test release from DroidBOX, you will also find a new system has been but in place to switch between Android and LibreELEC.
You can continue to use whichever method you prefer, but should you wish you can click the Menu button on your remote control (normally two or three horizontal lines) to switch to the other operating system when you boot up.

20170328_174034_0-png.920

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: sblabs
Dec 21, 2016
Vermont
Been running for about 24hrs Everything working well in both Android and LibreELEC [emoji12]
Video play back problems that were in LibreELEC 8.0.1/Kodi17.1 are resolved.
If I find anything new I will post....[emoji1]

Sent from my T8-SP-V2-MINI-6.0 using DroidBOX Forums mobile app

Dec 21, 2016
Vermont
One added note is that in LibreELEC you need to use the LibreELEC Configuration add on to be able to boot to Android. I have mine displayed under Programs in Confluence Skin. I hate the new one. In the add on to System bottom Switch System -> Reboot to Android...[emoji2]

Sent from my Fire HD 8

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
Thanks to both for the feedback.

Just to double check @Alexandra Fassett , in this LibreELEC firmware, using Kodi Krypton's default skin there isn't the option to switch over to Android when you click the top left icon in Kodi's homescreen? Just "Reboot" or similar?

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
OK, reports in the v2 thread as well
Do you get the splash screen when you boot up, inviting you to switch to the other OS by pressing the Menu button? If so, does this work OK, you may need to press it a few times. Just trying to work out what might be causing this.

Dec 21, 2016
Vermont
I only use the Confluence Skin so I can not speak for the default skin, but in Confluence the reboot to Android is missing, it was there in the 8.0.1 version

SmokingElectronics

Jan 13, 2017
Hilbilly heaven
willitblend.com
tried it my box is still trashed 3 factory resets cach wipes and now a bios flash

noobs and nerds repo won't even read as a source super repo installs but no addons will install! and the mxq backup box is acting squirrely

problems all over the place to various to list or keep track of! tried router reset, tried shutting all extra network device down, line testing of incoming signal, background noise tests

nothing is adding up or providing a solution

Supercat15

May 16, 2017
Is there a download link for the firmware update for the T8-S Plus v2 just in case this Libreelec file messes up my system.

David Savage

Aug 3, 2014
Somewhere over the rainbow
tried it my box is still trashed 3 factory resets cach wipes and now a bios flash

noobs and nerds repo won't even read as a source super repo installs but no addons will install! and the mxq backup box is acting squirrely

problems all over the place to various to list or keep track of! tried router reset, tried shutting all extra network device down, line testing of incoming signal, background noise tests

nothing is adding up or providing a solution
A lot of repos are down, noobsandnerds is one also Metalkettle, Phoenix, Silenthunter and load of others on the Fusion zip file.
This is not a good time to update as loads of add-ons are up and down. If you need help with your box I would get in touch with droidbox themselves. You can use live chat or email...live chat is on there main site and is available office hours only. Email you can use the link at the bottom of the page and include your purchase details if poss.

Good luck and hope you get this sorted.

Reactions: SmokingElectronics

SmokingElectronics

Jan 13, 2017
Hilbilly heaven
willitblend.com
@David Savage thanks I appreciate your help. I will try to get live help but like you have said i have noticed that it's all kodi everything else works fine android side cbs, YouTube, Spotify, etc 8bit said once that if all that works it's kodi or the 3rd party apps looking like kodi might actually be dieing to early to tell but if we lost nerds and mettle than that's huge main repositories only super repo left as a giant
guess it's time to pay for crap or I have to put up with my wife complaining about the new box not being better than the mxq box
uhh no its 3rd party apps not the box talking to a wall lmao

David Savage

Aug 3, 2014
Somewhere over the rainbow
Have you tried Terrarium TV I here it's a great APK. It's in the Droidbox market on your box under movies. Also you can download it from there site, I here it's a kodi killer.....so I've been told...I personally don't use it as it's illegal to watch streams of this sort.

Regards

Reactions: SmokingElectronics

SmokingElectronics

Jan 13, 2017
Hilbilly heaven
willitblend.com
Thanks guys and by the way it's just the wife that doesn't understand the difference between the box and the software. me I know now that you listed all the dead addons and repos I know that the box is good just kodi is dying
I will lookintothe app is it illegal in the us or like torrents that are always illegal?