ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
Please wait before flashing this, reports of issues getting to Android.

Changes
Kodi 17.1 > 17.3
Fix for fault when switching between HD and SD video formats

THIS UPDATE IS FOR THE v1 EDITION OF THE DroidBOX T8-S Plus device
If you have the T8-S Plus v2, T8-S, T8, T8 Mini or anything other than a DroidBOX T8-S Plus v1, do NOT flash this file, at best it won't work, at worst it could brick your device.

Long term members will know the score, you can skip a paragraph or two...

This file is likely to be part of an OTA update in the near future. It is not yet official. If you do not want to factory reset your device, or don't have the time to report any issues found, please wait for our next official OTA update.

However, if you know what the Recovery menu is, how to access it, and are happy to help trace issues to their root cause, LibreELEC 8.0.2 with Kodi 17.1 is available for your DroidBOX T8-S Plus v1.

File to download: h**ps://1drv.ms/u/s!AlRdlhGu3fjihwRFd78H26BCP9s_
If you are on a Mac, you may need to this first: https://wiki.umbc.edu/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=31919091

What to do:
  • Copy the ZIP file (do not decompress it, you should only have one file called LibreELEC-DroidBOX.arm-T8SPlusV1-8.0.2-update.zip to copy, and it should be 122Mb) to an SD memory card
  • Turn your DroidBOX off and safely eject the card from your PC/Mac/other device, and insert the card in the T8-S Plus v1's memory card slot
  • Holding down the Restore switch on the side (behind the USB sockets), turn on your T8-S Plus v1. DO NOT LET GO OF THE SWITCH YET.
  • Once you see the Recovery menu on screen, release the Restore button.
  • Click on the "Apply Update from EXT" option.
  • This time, click the "Update from sdcard" entry.
  • Finally, click on LibreELEC-DroidBOX.arm-T8SPlusV1-8.0.2-update.zip file
  • Once the process completes, select the Reboot now option.

The following video shows the process. Although in this case we're flashing a LibreELEC beta firmware, rather than a ZIP file with an official OTA update, the steps remain the same.

Changes others have noticed so far:
WiFi networks - when you head to the Connections area of the LibreELEC Configuration program add-on, you will need to select a network and click on refresh - nearby WiFi networks aren't shown by default here once you've connected to your own WiFi network.

Let us know if you encounter any issues, the more detail the better.

Last edited:
Reactions: sblabs

sean99

Aug 7, 2014
Applied the beta update and just booting straight into L E 17.3 and unable to get into android at all. The return to android in L E is just a reboot of the linux system, no way to get into android. Usual options from recovery result in L E, back to the 8.0.1 update I go.

Reactions: dick b

dick b

Jan 24, 2017
Yeah same experience but I am unable to return to a working firmware.I have tried many factory resets to no avail and loading 17.1 results in just hanging on the libreelec logo.If I go back to 17.3 it loads ok and some addons like iplayer do work but all the addons from say tvaddons do load but trying to install from repository just comes back as unable to connect to server and as said trying to change to android results in booting back to libreelec.I do have other boxes so I'm not stuck.but is there any firmware to get the android side running again? I'm happy to try anything.

sean99

Aug 7, 2014
Luckily I saved the 8.0.1 update when it was 1st released to get L E Kodi 17.1. Have been around the avenues installing these 3 updates again and again today:rolleyes:

sean99

Aug 7, 2014
Yeah same experience but I am unable to return to a working firmware.I have tried many factory resets to no avail and loading 17.1 results in just hanging on the libreelec logo.If I go back to 17.3 it loads ok and some addons like iplayer do work but all the addons from say tvaddons do load but trying to install from repository just comes back as unable to connect to server and as said trying to change to android results in booting back to libreelec.I do have other boxes so I'm not stuck.but is there any firmware to get the android side running again? I'm happy to try anything.
Regarding the tvaddons unable to load from repo, they are facing a lawsuit and will be offline for the forseeable future, closed down.

Reactions: dick b

angela

Mar 3, 2015
Hi, It's the same for me the reboot to android in LibreELEC config and power button in Estuary skin reboots straight back to LibreELEC.

David Savage

Aug 3, 2014
Somewhere over the rainbow
You could try holding the restore button on the side be the USB ports, and when the recovery menu comes up click on reboot to android. See if this helps while droidbox fix the other..

sean99

Aug 7, 2014
Its ok mate I had a good 3hrs on it yesterday, only way back was to reinstall the 1.0.9 ota then L E 8.0.1

Reactions: David Savage

David Savage

Aug 3, 2014
Somewhere over the rainbow
I'm leaving the update at the moment as don't see the point as kodi is losing add-ons and repos daily. I believe Fusion is running scared, and dropping everything it can, others following suit.
Kodi is still a good media player for all other stuff....see how things go over the next few months.

Regards

Reactions: angela and sean99

angela

Mar 3, 2015
Hi, I tried the wipe cache partition > wipe data/factory reset > start android > all resulting in rebooting back to LibreELEC, as sean99 said the only way back was to reinstall the 1.0.9 ota firmware.

dick b

Jan 24, 2017

Teleport

Aug 7, 2015
London
Hi
I'm leaving the update at the moment as don't see the point as kodi is losing add-ons and repos daily. I believe Fusion is running scared, and dropping everything it can, others following suit.
Kodi is still a good media player for all other stuff....see how things go over the next few months.

Regards

I had this problem at the weekend*, but all the repos seem to be coming back online now.
Any chance we can have this update soon please?

*My box has an issue that if the power button(remote) is accidentally pressed during playback of a stream in Kodi 15.2 (Openelec) the it gets stuck on the Openelec boot screen. Had to factory reset twice now. Worse still I didn't have it backed up. I do now. Is this a known issue?

sean99

Aug 7, 2014
@Teleport perhaps that issue with the power button you have is openelec specific, had never come across it myself or heard of anyone else. There have been 2 LibreElec updates since Openelec 6 kodi 15.2 and to be honest I was a sceptic regarding L E at 1st and didn't upgrade straight away but since the 1st update through to the last 8.0.1 kodi 17.1 I have been well impressed with it. You should use the ota update on your box to install the 1.0.9 firmware with L E 7x kodi 16.1 until dbx re-release the working 8.0.2 update. Each kodi upgrade improves your streaming potential for sure.

Teleport

Aug 7, 2015
London
Thanks Sean.

After finding this post I booted into android and ran the ota update app to see what's new.
But it says there's no update available.
As mentioned I'm running Kodi 15.2 Git027013 (Oct 30 2015)
How do I get something newer please? And will I need to reconfigure and reinstall all my
Addons if I do update? Or can I still use the Backup addon to restore my 15.2 backup settings
on to a newer version of Kodi?

sean99

Aug 7, 2014
If you have the droidbox T8s Plus v1 you are definately an ota update behind of which will install lollipop 5.1 android firmware and LibreElec 7.1 f/w which is kodi 16.1 on both android and L E. you also will have dbmc 16.1. If you wanted to keep your current setup of Openelec kodi 15.2 you would need to sftp into your device from a pc to do it, that is not that hard to do if you really wanted to. You will find how to install the 1.0.9 ota from here:- https://droidboxforums.com/threads/firmware-links-for-t8-s-plus-v1-devices.10001/ but you would need to install everything on your box from scratch