admin

Staff member
Jul 14, 2014
United Kingdom
droix.co.uk
Before installing this beta, please use the OTA Updates application in Android to update your system first. Shah's video below (applies equally to T8 Mini devices) shows how to do this if you've not used the app before.

Changes
  • Kodi 17.5
  • Fix boot-time overwrite of samba.conf.sample to ensure v4 template exists
  • Fix Samba startup failures by detecting/disabling old (v3) samba.conf files
  • Fix an issue in the embedded getedid script
  • Fix Kodi to support 352KHz and 384KHz audio over S/PDIF
  • Fix clearing of core files from /storage/.cache during Kodi startup
  • Fix vulnerability (CVE-2017-1000250 aka Blueborne pt.1) in BlueZ
  • Fix vulnerability (CVE-2017-1000251 aka Blueborne pt.2) in all kernels except Amlogic 3.10
  • Fix a Python /dev/random issue that caused some Python crypto functions to error
  • Fix to prevent boot-loops when a failed update leaves valid files in /storage/.update
  • other fixes

THIS UPDATE IS FOR THE T8 Mini.
Only a T8 Mini already updated to Android 6 can use this update. Please check your OTA Updates application first if you are still running Android 5

If you have a different device, do not follow the instructions in this thread, at best it won't work, at worst it could brick your device.
There is a similar thread for T8-S Plus v2 owners here - https://droidboxforums.com/threads/...kodi-17-5-test-t8-s-plus-v2.11292/#post-41157

Long term members will know the score, you can skip a paragraph or two...

This file is likely to be part of an OTA update in the near future. It is not yet official. If you do not want to factory reset your device, or don't have the time to report any issues found, please wait for our next official OTA update.

However, if you know what the Recovery menu is, how to access it, and are happy to help trace issues to their root cause, LibreELEC 8.2.0 with Kodi 17.5 is available for your DroidBOX T8 Mini.

The same file can be used on a T8-S Plus v2, see the thread linked to at the top.

File to download: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AlRdlhGu3fjih1G0dseVoTKfYFmx
If you are on a Mac, you may need to this first: https://wiki.umbc.edu/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=31919091

What to do:
  • Copy the ZIP file (do not decompress it, you should only have one file called LibreELEC-LibreELEC-DroidBOX.aarch64-T8SPMINI-8.2.0-update-B01.zip to copy, and it should be just over 141Mb) to an SD memory card
  • Turn your DroidBOX off and safely eject the card from your PC/Mac/other device, and insert the card in the DroidBOX T8 Mini memory card slot
  • Holding down the Restore button on the right hand side (behind the USB socket), press the power button once to turn on the T8 Mini. DO NOT LET GO OF THE RESTORE BUTTON YET.
  • Once you see the Recovery menu on screen, release the Restore button.
  • Click on the "Apply Update from EXT" option.
  • This time, click the "Update from sdcard" entry.
  • Click on LibreELEC-DroidBOX.aarch64-T8SPMINI-8.2.0-update-B01.zip file
  • Once the process completes, select the Wipe Data/Factory Reset option (this will effect Android as well as LibreELEC)
  • Confirm you are sure
  • Once this process completes, select the Start Android option.

The following video shows the process. Although in this case we're flashing a LibreELEC beta firmware, rather than a ZIP file with an official OTA update, the steps remain the same.

Let us know if you encounter any issues, the more detail the better.

As with the first LE8 test release from DroidBOX, you will also find a new system has been but in place to switch between Android and LibreELEC.
You can continue to use whichever method you prefer, but should you wish you can click the Menu button on your remote control (normally two or three horizontal lines) to switch to the other operating system when you boot up.

20170328_174034_0-png.920

lordtoran

Aug 26, 2016
Bochum, NRW, Germany
Thanks a lot! Finally the postprocessing toggle is present for unaccelerated video formats in the playback window's video settings, and it seems to be enabled by default. Low bitrate WebM/VP8 Youtube rips look nicer now without blocking artifacts. On the downside, while only a minor visual glitch, the Nyancat screensaver from Kodi's addon repository still does not render the animated sky/star background in LibreELEC. It does so in Android and on my Linux laptop.

8bitDev

Jul 2, 2015
Thanks a lot! Finally the postprocessing toggle is present for unaccelerated video formats in the playback window's video settings, and it seems to be enabled by default. Low bitrate WebM/VP8 Youtube rips look nicer now without blocking artifacts. On the downside, while only a minor visual glitch, the Nyancat screensaver from Kodi's addon repository still does not render the animated sky/star background in LibreELEC. It does so in Android and on my Linux laptop.
Hi

We will take a look at it.Thank you for your feedback and have a nice day.

Regards

admin

Staff member
Jul 14, 2014
United Kingdom
droix.co.uk
Looks like it's a limitation of the Addon. It's using the API to render it's graphics which is not available in the LibreELEC and I'm affraid it's out of our control as we are not the developers for the LibreELEC OS, we just adopting it to our hardware.

8bitDev

Jul 2, 2015
Has this beta been officially released yet? If not when will it be?
Hi

Once ti is officially released it will be announced on our blog post page and it will be available via OTA updater app for updating and/or shipped with new devices onwards.

Regards

Bollocks77

Aug 24, 2016
Hi everyone,
Hope you don't mind me asking how the progress of this is going please?
Regards
Dave

Waggers

Aug 10, 2016
I asked the same back in December 2017. All i got was a stock reply and no date for release as requested.
I suspect they are not doing much with it as the T8 mini is no longer a current device.

Bollocks77

Aug 24, 2016
I hope not mate. The T8 Mini is still a brilliant device and mine runs flawless. Maybe the team are busy and are waiting till its spot on before release coz ive always thought this forum and especially the team are spot on.
Fingers crossed.
Dave

Bollocks77

Aug 24, 2016
Me too. Im more than happy but it would be good. If not - no worries, my box is still running mint. I will update to a newer model eventually.