admin

Staff member
Jul 14, 2014
United Kingdom
droix.co.uk
DroidBOX Team is pleased to announce LibreELEC 8.2.0 Beta version for T8-S Plus V1 model.

Changes
  • Kodi 17.5
  • Fix boot-time overwrite of samba.conf.sample to ensure v4 template exists
  • Fix Samba startup failures by detecting/disabling old (v3) samba.conf files
  • Fix an issue in the embedded getedid script
  • Fix Kodi to support 352KHz and 384KHz audio over S/PDIF
  • Fix clearing of core files from /storage/.cache during Kodi startup
  • Fix vulnerability (CVE-2017-1000250 aka Blueborne pt.1) in BlueZ
  • Fix vulnerability (CVE-2017-1000251 aka Blueborne pt.2) in all kernels except Amlogic 3.10
  • Fix a Python /dev/random issue that caused some Python crypto functions to error
  • Fix to prevent boot-loops when a failed update leaves valid files in /storage/.update
  • other fixes

THIS UPDATE IS FOR THE v1 EDITION OF THE DroidBOX T8-S Plus device
If you have the T8-S Plus v2, T8-S, T8, T8 Mini or anything other than a DroidBOX T8-S Plus v1, do NOT flash this file, at best it won't work, at worst it could brick your device.

Long term members will know the score, you can skip a paragraph or two...

This file is likely to be part of an OTA update in the near future. It is not yet official. If you do not want to factory reset your device, or don't have the time to report any issues found, please wait for our next official OTA update.

However, if you know what the Recovery menu is, how to access it, and are happy to help trace issues to their root cause, LibreELEC 8.2.0 with Kodi 17.5 is available for your DroidBOX T8-S Plus v1.

File to download: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AlRdlhGu3fjih0-UJ68av6xpngcP
If you are on a Mac, you may need to this first: https://wiki.umbc.edu/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=31919091

What to do:
  • Copy the ZIP file (do not decompress it, you should only have one file called LibreELEC-LibreELEC-DroidBOX.arm-T8SPlus-8.2.0-update-B01.zip to copy, and it should be 130Mb) to an SD memory card
  • Turn your DroidBOX off and safely eject the card from your PC/Mac/other device, and insert the card in the T8-S Plus v1's memory card slot
  • Holding down the Restore switch on the side (behind the USB sockets), turn on your T8-S Plus v1. DO NOT LET GO OF THE SWITCH YET.
  • Once you see the Recovery menu on screen, release the Restore button.
  • Click on the "Apply Update from EXT" option.
  • This time, click the "Update from sdcard" entry.
  • Finally, click on LibreELEC-DroidBOX.arm-T8SPlus-8.2.0-update-B01.zip file
  • Once the process completes, select the Reboot now option.

The following video shows the process. Although in this case we're flashing a LibreELEC beta firmware, rather than a ZIP file with an official OTA update, the steps remain the same.

Changes others have noticed so far:
WiFi networks - when you head to the Connections area of the LibreELEC Configuration program add-on, you will need to select a network and click on refresh - nearby WiFi networks aren't shown by default here once you've connected to your own WiFi network.

Let us know if you encounter any issues, the more detail the better.

Last edited:

RRaoD

Jan 3, 2017
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Currently I am using LibreElec 8.0.1 Kodi 17.1 on the Droidbox T8-S V1 with two hard disks connected.

After updating the new firmware 8.2.0 over the old firmware, If I don't do the Wipe Data/Factory Reset, will the old skin settings and the library database remain intact and work or I have to do the Wipe Data and setup everything from scratch?

dick b

Jan 24, 2017
I dont have any drives connected to my setup but I didnt do a factory re-set just a reboot and all of my settings were kept intact I just had to change the skin back to Confluence as I"m not keen on the default skin of Estuary

Reactions: RRaoD

RRaoD

Jan 3, 2017
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
I dont have any drives connected to my setup but I didnt do a factory re-set just a reboot and all of my settings were kept intact I just had to change the skin back to Confluence as I"m not keen on the default skin of Estuary
Thanks. I will try applying the update today.

dick b

Jan 24, 2017
go for it,just follow the instructions in "what to do"all addons/repositories should remain unchanged

admin

Staff member
Jul 14, 2014
United Kingdom
droix.co.uk
Hi there, yes it should keep your current settings and just update the LibreELEC itself. Please let us know if you notice any major issues with it. Thanks.

RRaoD

Jan 3, 2017
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
I upgraded to 8.2.0 without applying the wipe data/factory reset. I observed the system and noticed the following things.

1. During booting, between the initial Droidbox splash screen and the LibreElec screen, I see a image of the Linux's directory listing flashing by. This is a small irritant and does not affect the performance of the system.

2. I had customized samba.conf to add a share "Storage" in 8.0.1 for accessing the Kodi folders from my windows 10 laptop. I backed up this file on my laptop. After update I lost my customized SMB shares. I copied the saved samba.conf file to the Configfiles folder. Still I was getting the same default shares from 8.2.0. I retreived the /etc/samba/smb.conf file and noted that the [Global] settings are different from 8.0.1 version. The file's remarks also indicate the samba.conf to be V4. I replaced the global settings in my samba.conf file with the values from smb.conf., added the missing Workgroup = WORKGROUP line and copied back to Configfiles folder. With this I got back my SMB shares.

3. After Shutting down box with Shutdown command in Kodi the TV is loosing the signal, but the blue light remains on and not turning to red. I had to do this with remote's power button. This behavior was same in 8.0.1. Is it normal?

4. I remember in LibreElec Kodi 17.3 I used to get extra information along with the the time in the LED display on the box. Now in 8.x.x versions I get only the time.

Overall the update went very well and no problems noticed. A good build.

8bitDev

Jul 2, 2015
Hi

I have informed r&D team and will come back with more information once received.

Regards

KAREL

May 31, 2016
I have downloaded the latest LibreElec update and now can connect with Wi-Fi but it is random turning the box off and going back later it is not online so you have to connect again.
When you turn off with the red button on the remote the blue light on the box remains and turns the TV off pressing the red button again turns the box off.
The remote for the Panasonic TV will work the droid box.
Not really major problem so certainly can live with it.
KAREL
Sent from my iPad

admin

Staff member
Jul 14, 2014
United Kingdom
droix.co.uk
I upgraded to 8.2.0 without applying the wipe data/factory reset. I observed the system and noticed the following things.

1. During booting, between the initial Droidbox splash screen and the LibreElec screen, I see a image of the Linux's directory listing flashing by. This is a small irritant and does not affect the performance of the system.

2. I had customized samba.conf to add a share "Storage" in 8.0.1 for accessing the Kodi folders from my windows 10 laptop. I backed up this file on my laptop. After update I lost my customized SMB shares. I copied the saved samba.conf file to the Configfiles folder. Still I was getting the same default shares from 8.2.0. I retreived the /etc/samba/smb.conf file and noted that the [Global] settings are different from 8.0.1 version. The file's remarks also indicate the samba.conf to be V4. I replaced the global settings in my samba.conf file with the values from smb.conf., added the missing Workgroup = WORKGROUP line and copied back to Configfiles folder. With this I got back my SMB shares.

3. After Shutting down box with Shutdown command in Kodi the TV is loosing the signal, but the blue light remains on and not turning to red. I had to do this with remote's power button. This behavior was same in 8.0.1. Is it normal?

4. I remember in LibreElec Kodi 17.3 I used to get extra information along with the the time in the LED display on the box. Now in 8.x.x versions I get only the time.

Overall the update went very well and no problems noticed. A good build.

Hi there,

1) Please try resetting the LE, it should fix it then
3) it is how LE is configured by default, unfortunately we can't affect this behaviour
4) This was removed in the LE 8.2.0 and we can't restore it

Hope that answers your questions.

admin

Staff member
Jul 14, 2014
United Kingdom
droix.co.uk
I have downloaded the latest LibreElec update and now can connect with Wi-Fi but it is random turning the box off and going back later it is not online so you have to connect again.
When you turn off with the red button on the remote the blue light on the box remains and turns the TV off pressing the red button again turns the box off.
The remote for the Panasonic TV will work the droid box.
Not really major problem so certainly can live with it.
KAREL
Sent from my iPad
We are looking into fixing this in the final release, thank you for reporting.

Reactions: David Savage

RRaoD

Jan 3, 2017
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Hi there,

3) it is how LE is configured by default, unfortunately we can't affect this behaviour

Thanks.
All in all I am happy with the performance LibreElec version of Kodi than the Android version. I am sticking to LibreElec as I use the Droidbox exclusively for Kodi.

RRaoD

Jan 3, 2017
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Hi there,

With regard to 1), I have taken a backup of LibreELEC Kodi and then reset the LibreELEC. But the described behaviour still persists. Then I did a couple more resets. Still the behavior remains same. I restored the backup and back to my original status.

As I mentioned this is only a minor irritant and I can live with it. No Problem. Thanks.

8bitDev

Jul 2, 2015
The link to the file appears to be down.

Any chance of a reupload?
Hi

I can confirm that link is working just fine.If the download link is still not working for you can you let us know which browser/OS/device you are using?

Regards

RELL33

Oct 8, 2016
Hello again,

Is there any way that I can forcefully update my DBMC to a version of Kodi 17? I know and understand that DBMC is built on a separate fork of Kodi SPMC but I would like full out Kodi 17 on my DBMC.

In addition, has DroidBox worked the bugs out of the LibreELEC for T8-S Plus v1 release? I am beyond ready to upgrade all three of my DroidBoxes and their LibreELEC versions as well. As I have had one box since day one just hangs in the LibreELEC mode and support has never answered my call for help or remote support on the issue.

I have had my box since early 2016 and to date, I have never seen a DroidBox OTC update and wondering if they are real or really happen?!

Nigelar

Feb 26, 2015
Reactions: RELL33

RELL33

Oct 8, 2016
Hello again,

Is there any way that I can forcefully update my DBMC to a version of Kodi 17? I know and understand that DBMC is built on a separate fork of Kodi SPMC but I would like full out Kodi 17 on my DBMC.

In addition, has DroidBox worked the bugs out of the LibreELEC for T8-S Plus v1 release? I am beyond ready to upgrade all three of my DroidBoxes and their LibreELEC versions as well. As I have had one box since day one just hangs in the LibreELEC mode and support has never answered my call for help or remote support on the issue.

I have had my box since early 2016 and to date, I have never seen a DroidBox OTC update and wondering if they are real or really happen?!
As you recognise, DBMC is built on top of SPMC. The latest SPMC release on 1/12/17 was 16.7.2 so he has not released a krypton (17) version yet.
So you will need to use official Kodi 17 in the meantime.

Regarding OTA updates for the T8S-Plus V1, the last update i can see was 10/3/17

https://droidbox.co.uk/blog/droidbox-t8-s-plus-v1-v2-t8-mini-imxqpro-v2-ota-firmware-updates/

So yes, they are real and really happen.

Thank you very much for repsonding.

I have (3) Droid Box T8-S Plus v1 boxes and not one of them has ever shown me an OTA update. This is why I questioned the legitimacy of these updates. All 3 of my Droid Box T8-S Plus v1's have shown OTA update Build version LMY 47 V.20170310 since day one of purchase. which is now going on 2 years.