1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bittboy CFW v3.8 Beta 20190518 for v2, v3 & v3.5 users

Discussion in 'BittBoy, PocketGo & PocketGo v2 Handhelds' started by Dave C, May 20, 2019.

1. Dave C

Dave C Administrator Staff Member

Find out more and buy the Bittboy v3.5 at https://droidbox.co.uk/bittboy-v2-retro-gaming-emulator-portable-handheld.html

Download from

NOTE: You can find out your model of Bittboy on our FAQ at https://www.droidboxforums.com/threads/bittboy-faq.15489/

Bittboy v2 v3.8 firmware - https://mega.nz/#!RxpTEa6Z!vWxeHq6SoJRf9Dp8vq_0lnx1iz-u2rtMvcpF8j_ZZxo
    Bittboy v3 v3.8 firmware - https://mega.nz/#!d4olHIrK!lVYn1_cJ7Gvi253OGHfT0SfNC-PstS4aNAHr4Lrfzy4
    Bittboy v3.5 v3.8 firmware - https://mega.nz/#!lopWEaYY!wt5IYT65Y8CacBOp2kG4-MVDHFUxa_eey5SaI_NYrPw

How to install

Note - If you have not installed any custom firmware on the SD card and are using original firmware, please do a fresh install.

Fresh install - https://droidbox.co.uk/how-to/bittboy-custom-firmware-installation/
    Update install - https://droidbox.co.uk/how-to/how-to-update-bittboy-custom-firmware/

NOTES:
    ------

*DOS:
    -DOSBox now boots to the menu system 'LaunchBox for MS-DOS SE 2.0'
    -To play the included game (Shareware Commander Keen Episode 1 "Marooned on Mars") Press 'start'

Controls:
    -The keys to launch, quit and play are mapped
    -Bittboy buttons map as:
    UP - UP
    DOWN - DOWN
    LEFT - LEFT
    RIGHT - RIGHT
    B - SPACE
    A - LCTRL
    TB - LSHIFT
    TA - LALT
    SELECT - ESCAPE
    START - RETURN
    R - RCTRL

-When another key needs to be pressed (eg to quit the game) the On Screen Keyboard (OSK) must be used
    -To open (or close) the OSK and input other keys, press Start+B together. They must be pressed at the exact same time

Exiting from DOSbox:
    1)First Quit Commander Keen:
    -Press select. Use the OSK when prompted to press a key to quit

2)Then Exit the LaunchBox menu:
    -Press 'TA' to select the 'File' menu, press start to accept. Use the dpad to choose 'Exit', press start to accept

Adding new DOS games:
    -Edit \roms\PC\DOS\LAUNCHBX\LAUNCHBX.TXT
    -See example file 'LAUNCHBX - Example.TXT' in the same location

---------------------------------------------------------------------
    *SOD:
    To play the retail/full version of Spear of Destiny:

-Copy the retail SOD data files (all .SOD files other than config.SOD) to 'games\sod\'
    -In the same folder:
    -Delete (or rename) the file 'sod'
    -Rename the file 'sod-Retail' to 'sod'

The SOD icon on the games tab of your bittboy will now load the full game instead of the shareware version.

*Wolf3D:
    To play the retail/full version of Wolfenstein 3D:

-Copy the retail Wolf3D data files (all .WL6 files other than config.WL6) to 'games\wolf3d\'
    -In the same folder:
    -Delete (or rename) the file 'wolf3d'
    -Rename the file 'wolf3d-Retail' to 'wolf3d'

The Wolf3D icon on the games tab of your bittboy will now load the full game instead of the shareware version.

Emulator Info:

Emulator Name Icon Name Rom Selector Defaults to Info
    ------------- --------- ------------------------ -----
    GameBoy gambatte /roms Current Gambatte (20190512)
    GBA gpsp_gameblabla /roms/GBA Current GPSP, re-mappable controls
    NES fceux /roms/NES
    SNES snes9x4d /roms/SNES
    SMS/GG smsplusgx /roms/SMS
    MEGADRIVE picodrive /roms/SMD Also supports MegaCD(SegaCD) and SMS/GG
    2600 stella /roms/2600
    LYNX handy /roms/LYNX
    PC ENGINE temper /roms/PCE
    PS1 pcsx /roms/PS1
    ARCADE mame4all Internal ROM selector Uses Mame2003 (0.78) set
    NEOGEO gngeo /roms/NEOGEO Place BIOS (NEOGEO.zip) in '/roms/NEOGEO' along with games
    DOS dosbox
    WSWAN oswan /roms/WSWAN
    GB-RUMBLE gambatte_sdl /roms Older Gambatte (20190326). Rumble support
    GB-OHBOY ohboy /roms Alternative Gameboy/Gameboy Colour emulator
    GBA-RUMBLE gpsp /roms/GBA Older GPSP. Rumble support

'Icon Name' is the png image file name required for the emulator when creating themes (located in gmenu2x\skins\<theme name>\icons)

Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
    Zac Belver likes this.
  2. alberto64674yt

alberto64674yt New Member

whats bittboy v3.5? a new bittboy hardware version???

3. Dave C

It is the same specification as v3 but it has a different screen manufacturer and requires a different driver for it to work.

4. alberto64674yt

alberto64674yt New Member

a serious question are going to come out 3 or 4 versions of bittboy every month or something? because I do not think it's funny to people who buy v3 and leave 4,5,6 .... that happened to me with v2 buy it and just v3 and now 3.5 there are people for a minimum change you have to he will not like that much ...

5. Dave C

There is no difference between the v3 and 3.5 other than the screen is a different revision which requires a different driver. If you use the original firmware you would not see any difference. Because the custom firmwares cover all models, they need to be separate so users will know which version to install. As far as I know there will not be any Bittboy v4 for a while. I have a v2 and do not expect to upgrade it, it works fine for what I want it to do.

6. numbersix

numbersix New Member

Thanks so much for your work on this. Just got a bittboy apparently its v3.5.

Unfortunately the link at top of the thread for the 3.5 firmware says the file is no longer available. Is there an updated link for it? I'm assuming i'll need that version specifically.

Thanks in advance!

7. Gadgetguy

Gadgetguy Member

Try the jutleys website

8. numbersix

numbersix New Member

Hmmm can't seem to find it on there.. unless I'm missing it?

9. Gadgetguy

Gadgetguy Member

10. Frazchops

Frazchops New Member

I can't download this either, all the file links timeout. I gave it just over a day before retrying but it still appears to be dead.

11. Gadgetguy

Gadgetguy Member

It works for me (just tried seconds ag0)... Not sure how to help after this...

Maybe your internet provider is blocking?

12. Frazchops

Frazchops New Member

Ah it's going to be that, what a PITA! Thanks for that.

13. Dave C

I have updated the first post with the latest firmware download for 3.5 models.

14. 1.8matt

1.8matt New Member

The card that came with my Bittboy and the one I tried creating end up not working. I can't assign a letter to the main partition of my SD card, so everytime i try to expand it, it doesn't work and I end up with just having a boot drive show up as my SD card, and I can't add any roms to it. What am I doing wrong here?

Attached Files:

15. Dave C

It looks like you are running Windows 7 or earlier? If so, then Windows 7 and earlier do not support 4 partitions on a drive. You will need to format and copy over any files using Windows 10, or another recent operating system.

16. 1.8matt

1.8matt New Member

Well that's a bummer.

17. 1.8matt

1.8matt New Member

Would windows 8 work?

18. Dave C

I am not sure off hand, you can try it.

19. 1.8matt

1.8matt New Member

I'm gonna have to try to figure out how to update my computer without losing everything. Damn, this sucks.

20. 1.8matt

1.8matt New Member

Worked perfectly Dave. Used a PC with Windows 10 and it went flawlessly. I'm attempting to upgrade my PC to 8.1 so I'll see if it works on there as well.