TH1878

Jul 29, 2014
Hi guys,

Hoping you can help me.... My IMX6 Linux version was working perfectly until I went away for a week and put it in standby. Got home today and I just cannot get it off standby. I have tried the following:

1) Changed the batteries in the remote (twice!)
2) Tried to re-boot it by unplugging power
3) Tried to access the setup menu using the reset button on power up (10 secs) - repeatedly
4) Tried number 3 with the most recent firmware on an SD card in the SD card slot.

All with no success... The box is stuck on the red light and just won't respond to anything I do.

Any ideas?

Cheers

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
Re point 1), is your remote the iMX6 infra red remote control that originally came with our devices, or a VIP remote control.

This is the VIP remote control:
41eSnGPdaTL.jpg

Whilst you can see the original style of iMX6 remote control in the top left of this picture:
71TNx7NLY6L._SL1500_.jpg

Sorry, image resizing within the forum doesn't want to play nicely right now.

If you have the VIP remote control, make sure you're using heavy duty batteries, something like Duracell Ultra. Can you also plug the USB dongle into your PC/laptop to double check the remote itself is definitely working.

If you have the original iMX6 remote control, can you do a quick test please? Hold the remote up to your phone's/tablet's camera and press a couple of keys on the remote. If you point your camera's lens at the top of the remote, you should be able to see the LED flashing. (Doesn't work on a few mobile phones that have an infrared filter over their lens).

If the remote checking doesn't bring up any eureka moments, please send us an e-mail ( [email protected] ) with your original order ID, your eBay/Amazon user name and a link to your post ( https://droidboxforums.com/posts/212 ) so we don't ask you to go through the same steps again.

TH1878

Jul 29, 2014
Thanks for the response. It's the original IMX6 remote so will give it a go when I get back from work.

Don't suppose you know whether the iPhone 5 & iPad Air have an IR filter, do you?

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
The more recent Apple hardware has tended to, but I'm no Apple geek unfortunately, so I don't know for certain. Any old digital camera will do, be it a webcam, security camera (which is how I used to check remote controls a couple of decades ago in a TV shop!) or an ancient mobile phone with a camera. The resolution doesn't matter at all, a source of light (be it visible or infrared) will show up well.
Hmm, I wonder if cats or dogs vision extends into the infrared range at all? You could see if they glance at a flashing IR LED :)

TH1878

Jul 29, 2014
Ok, so it turns out that the back camera on Apple devices has an IR filter but not the front camera. The remote is definitely working.

I will send email but possible problem as I originally ordered an Xstreamtec MX and they (Amazon) sent me the android version of the droidbox imx6 instead. I didn't actually order the IMX6 directly so don't know if that's a problem?

When I got it, I was annoyed at the seller but I came on here, flashed it with linux and was more than happy until yesterday :-(

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
It sounds as though Amazon fulfilled the order, from our stock and sent the wrong device.
Don't worry at all, as long as your order ties into XBMC Gadgets Hub (our store name on Amazon and eBay), you'll be fine. Thanks for the info re the front camera, I hadn't thought about that at all :)
Shoot me that e-mail and we'll sort out getting your device repaired/replaced. You'll probably want to put in big letters that it should a MCE/Linux firmware on the repaired/replacement device, so the guys in that team don't compound Amazon's error :)

TH1878

Jul 29, 2014
Just an update on this. The ace support guys sent me a replacement box and the same error occurred so figured it must be the PSU (although not sure why it was still showing the standby light!?). Plugged in a PSU from a Roku box that I don't use and it works perfectly.