thewatchergb

Jan 31, 2015
Hi,
Need help again please. I've just signed up with IPVanish and have it installed and working fine on my desktop but would like to add it to my whole house internet. I appreciate that I need to add it to my BT Home Hub 5 but cannot find anywhere online that actually explains how to do this, only others looking for various levels of help in doing so for their own systems!

I'd very much appreciate some guidance to do this set up (in For Dummies speak) and am pretty confident I can find that guidance here, as I have in the past with other problems and deadends that have sprung up on my boxes!

Thanks, with anticipation,
Tracey

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
You will need to check the documentation for your BT modem. It is possible that it doesn't have the ability to create VPN connections (or rather BT's firmware on top of the modem made by Thompson/whoever is making the Home Hub 5 doesn't have this feature).

The only references I could find for your modem and VPN was to do with port forwarding (when individual devices on your network have VPN set up, rather than on the modem), nothing about creating a connection.

If you want to stick with having VPN set up on the modem only, you'll want to look into a new modem/router box, if possible find one that can be flashed with DD-WRT (or if you want to stick with the original firmware, make sure other users have not had problems setting up their modem with a VPN connection).

IPVanish also sell routers I think, check around https://www.ipvanish.com/vpn-setup/routers/#dd-wrt