kevin byrne

Dec 27, 2014
Hi, I have a Droidbox X7. When I stream at anything over 480, I get stuttering and buffering. My internet speed is good, and I have a 4k tv. When I stream thru my phone with a chromecast (to another tv), I can happily stream up to 1020.

I've looked at the settings but can't see anything obvious to allow the box to be more efficient, can anybody help or is it time to think of an upgrade??

Thanks

Nigelar

Feb 26, 2015
First two things:
1. Is box connected to your router by ethernet or WiFi?
2. Run a speed test on the box using an app like ookla speedtest from Google play and report back results.

kevin byrne

Dec 27, 2014
I only have wifi option, unable to test speed at the moment as Vodafone Portugal have "network problems"!! However, I usually have a download speed of between 15 and 20 mbps measured by ookla.

Nigelar

Feb 26, 2015
I checked the x7 spec and it does support ethernet so i would certainly try that.
I know it is quite an old machine so it is possible the processor may struggle with higher resolution movies.
Make sure you are running the latest version of kodi for your machine. As it is running android 4.4.2 that will be kodi 16.3 (you could also try cemc from google play or ftmc from freaktab which provide kodi 17 like functionality for older machines).

Reactions: Joxer

kevin byrne

Dec 27, 2014
ok, i'll give that a go, but I don't use Kodi too much, more use of Movie HD, Terrarium TV, Showbox etc.

David Savage

Aug 3, 2014
Somewhere over the rainbow
Try checking your storage and make sure it's not nearly full. Clear cache on a regular basis..also you can go to setting, more setting and apps and check them here too.
Like Nigelar said use a Ethernet cable if you can..

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
I'd expect any of the X7 versions to be 100% fine with 720p streaming, and with the right app/settings/source 1080p was OK back when it was my main device.
Which application are you using to play the video streams? If it is Kodi, make sure it is 16.1, or you could try something like SPMC, DBMC (via the DroidBOX Market app) or FTMC . Also worth playing around with the hardware acceleration options, to check if performance alters.

kevin byrne

Dec 27, 2014
I am using mainly movie hd, terrarium and showbox - rarely use kodi, which I have installed Jarvis. BUT as another issue, my box has now seized up!! it stopped working last night, when I re boot, I just get the reboot circle for ages, back to droidbox page and then it starts again. have pulled the power plug for a whole day, same result, any solutions??

David Savage

Aug 3, 2014
Somewhere over the rainbow
Sometime boxes start going wrong because storage is full, then they stop working or you get a black picture.
Try a reset,
1st try clearing cache and if that doesn't work do a factory reset. You will need to get the recovery menu up, so not sure on this model but if you aren't sure go to droidboxes how to, on there main site.

Best if luck

kevin byrne

Dec 27, 2014
David, I left the machine for a couple of days, and all seems well, so have not reset, but will save the link. Thanks