RRaoD

Jan 3, 2017
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Bug 2: The external HDD is changing from UDISK1 to UDISK0 and vice versa.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

The main idea in purchasing this box is to load the media collection I have on 2 external powered USB 3.0 HDDs.

I configured the box to scan the movie files from HDD1 and build the library. I added the HDD to the Add Videos and configured it to scrap using the Universal Movie Scrapper. After a period of time the library is built completely. I checked the library and watched a couple of movies.

Next day when I start the DBMC, to watch another movie, DBMC says that it could not find the movie on the HDD though I could see the thumbs of all the movies. I opened the ES File Explorer and checked the external HDD and found all my movies. I failed to understand why DBMC could not see the HDD and it's contents. So I rebuilt the library again freshly. Samething happened after another day.

This everyday scanning of library is consuming the internet bandwidth as it is scraping again and again. This was also taking long time to completely built the library. I found out on Kodi wiki that I can take a backup of the library (export library) on to the HDD having the movies. I tried to export the library but the export function failed as DBMC failed to write to the HDD.

Then I applied ChrisM's fix on the box and was able to export the database to the ext. HDD. Now rebuilding the database again on the box has speeded up as DBMC was taking the nfos,thumbs and fanarts from the local HDD rather than from internet. Now things are a bit streamlined.

After sometime again the HDD got delinked with the library. After careful observation I could deduce the following.

The problem of library delinking with the HDD is not with DBMC but with android OS. When a HDD is connected to the box, it is connecting in android as UDISK0 or UDISK1. DBMC is building the library in the main storage linked to this UDISK0 (for example). After sometime rebooting the box, the HDD is connected to android as UDISK1. Sometimes it is vice-versa. This we can see in the ES file explorer. UDISK0 today and tomorrow it will be UDISK1. So DBMC is searching for the movies in UDISK0 which is non existent as it is now UDISK1.

I tried swapping the USB sockets on the box, and the HDD became USDISK0 and DBMC could extract the movies and play them succesfully.

But this was not a permanent solution, as again the drive names in android OS keep changing from UDISK0 to UDISK1 and vice-versa.

I fail to understand why the drive names in android keep changing and not remain same once connected as in windows.

If there is an utility in App Store for reassigning the drive from UDISK1 to UDISK0 or whatever drive the library was built on, or lock the drive to one name (UDISK) this should give us some relief.

RRaoD

Jan 3, 2017
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
I read in another forum that the drive assignments variation from UDISK0 to UDISK1 and vice versa is more prevalent in android 5.x.x.

Anyone who owns T8-S V2 with android 6.x see this problem?

RRaoD

Jan 3, 2017
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
I found a solution (not really...) to the above problem.

I have initially built my library in DBMC with the ext. hdd designated as UDISK1. When the hdd shows as UDISK1 in ES File Explorer, my library in DBMC works.

When I switch on the box and see UDISK0 for the ext. hdd in ES File Explorer, I simply switch off the box and restart after some time. This I repeat until I get UDISK1 in ES File Explorer. Then I open the DBMC and watch some movies.

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
Can you drop us an email with a link to this thread and your order ID please?
There may be a command that can be run that'll force the drive to be mounted at the same place each time. If we can't safely use sda0 etc, perhaps an entirely new name can be used.