Raymond Ritchie

Oct 31, 2014
Hi, I have added a 16Gb micro sd card to my X7 and I would appreciate it if anyone can show me how I can change the Show Box download location to my sd card?

Raymond Ritchie

Oct 31, 2014
Although I have still plenty of internal/flash memory - both Directory Bind and Folder Mount down load, but won't install because is says out of space/insufficient storage space, resp.
App2SD installs but fails with - The device does not have a real primary external storage, or the primary external is emulated.
Links2SD installs but fails with - Because your device has primary external storage which is emulated from external storage.

I am aware that there is an issue with external memory with the KitKat OS installed so I tried an app called "KitKat External SD card Patch"
It made no difference.

Are there any solutions where I can use my ext Sd card?

PS - I have also just tried several SD Fix apps, all fail to install with out of space.

Last edited:

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
I think I used https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=nextapp.sdfix&hl=en on one device for something unrelated, though it could have been https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.geeksoft.extcardpatch&hl=en
Have you tried both?
I've looked around some of the files Show Box uses, but couldn't find anything useful hardcoded, in terms of download location. If it isn't fudgable via the suggested methods above, maybe try contacting the author(s)? http://www.showboxdownload.com/p/contact-us.html might be genuine.

Raymond Ritchie

Oct 31, 2014
Hi, yes, I tried both (and many more) of these kitkat patches, most failed install with insufficient storage, your first one installed and ran but made no difference.

I think the problem is the way the droidbox base rom deals with memory. It appears that there are several ways memory is managed, one is primary storage "emulated" from the internal storage, and the other primary storage "non-emulated" from internal storage.

One of the error reports I got back from App2SD was "App2SD not supported by the phone (droidbox Nexus10)"!

Please get the rom developers to look at this? Ask the how we can install either Folder Mount or Directory Bind, because without them the SD card serves no purpose!

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
Nexus 10 is the device reported if the build.prop file is queried (to stop incompatibility errors with over cautious Play Store apps). If you're happy to tweak a little, you could ask the App2SD author(s) which devices are reported as compatible, and amend the build.prop file accordingly. This should be permanent, at least until you flash a new firmware.
Re the SD card serving no purpose, most of our staff and customers use an external memory card for storing data on, such as movies/MP3s/pictures etc that aren't generated by a program on the DroidBOX itself.

Raymond Ritchie

Oct 31, 2014
My original query was – how do I change the Show Box download location to my sd card? Show Box has been requested many times to implement this – no luck so far.
I also appreciate that other users may use the sd card for other function, but purely from droidbox perspective, I feel that to be able to download a movie/show should be a basic function. For example, my down load speed is less that 3Mbps, so just watching a show means major buffering issues whereas being able to download and watch it later is my best option.
As a workaround for this problem I looked at many apps that allowed apps to be transferred to my external SD card or incorporate the sd card memory to expanded the droidbox memory.
I appreciate that DroidBox has no control over what Show Box (or any other app) does or does not do, but I assume you have control of the ROM/kernel, and therefore you could ask the developers to resolve a basic function that would enable memory expansion. Can you do this?

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
Sorry for the delay, I was on a short holiday.
I think the issue is partially KitKat (as opposed to JellyBean) based. I can put in a request to the firmware developers, but there is no guarantee they'll sort it.
If the ShowBox author's just allowed a custom location for downloads, we'd be there.
In the mean time, I see two quick fixes as a possibility
a) We see if we have access to an JellyBean firmware for your X7 (let me know what the label on the bottom of your X7 shows), which should then allow the folder/path redirection apps to work, and so you'd be able to invisibly/transparently point ShowBox to your external storage
b) Copying over the downloaded files from internal storage to external. They may require an extension renaming before most media playing apps recognize them as a video, but MX Player might be comfortable to just have it thrown at it. If it works well enough, a script could probably be written that would semi-automate moving over the downloads, at which point ES File Explorer could be used to create a shortcut to the folder (assuming you're happy using a standard style Android launcher) on your homescreen.

Raymond Ritchie

Oct 31, 2014
I may be wrong but I don't think KitKat is the real problem - there are several patches available on Play Store, one installed but had no effect, the rest gave the same error saying something about prime memory being emulated v non emulated - also, there is no vold.fstab file (that I can see) that would allow int/ext memory changes.
The guy that provides the foldermount app explains the kernel memory setup at http://www.devasque.com/foldermount/kk-support.html.
I believe the real problem is the emulated/non-emulated memory set up in the box. I am not sure whether that is a hardware or software issue.
The info on the label says, Model No AC 8350, S/N BX09140300096.
My logic says that, if foldermount works in JellyBean on the X7 hardware, it suggests that the X7 memory issue with KitKat is a software developer problem!

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
That behaviour is controlled by the SDK supplied by RockChip (the core part of this model) embedded in our firmwares. We can alter some things with firmware, using scripts, additional apps, configuration files, but if RockChip supply software code that behaves in a certain way, we can't easily alter it. A loose analogy would be Microsoft changing how NTFS or FAT volumes are handled at the very core of Windows - we can make a request as one OEM to Microsoft, but if they don't receive a lot if requests from different companies, it will probably not have a high priority with them.

frogger_42

Mar 22, 2015
I was looking for the same capability. As of now, I it manually by going to my files and moving the movie files from the show box folder to a folder on my SDcard. Its manual, but it works. It would be nice if you could fool the app to simply save the movies where you wanted them.

Raymond Ritchie

Oct 31, 2014
I have an X7 (8gb rom) and my real problem is the lack of memory to store the Show Box downloads. The best solution is for DroidBox to allow us to expand the internal memory with micro sd but as advised in a previous post this would require some work from the DroidBox firmware developer. I am not holding my breath.

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
What you're asking is for a newer version of Android to behave more like an older version of Android. The best solution would be for Show Box to fix the issue, and allow a fully custom location to be set in their app.
On older versions of Androids, fixes were possible, since Android 4.4 it got more complicated.

Wurzel

Jun 9, 2015
I have found that if you set the download folder in ES File Explorer to the external storage that you require. Then use ShowBOX and choose the film you want to download but rather than download it set the Player to be External rather than Internal and then opt to Watch. This will now pop up a window asking how you want to watch so choose ES Downloader and the film will download to your external storage.

Note this was with the latest ShowBOX and through Android not OpenELEC - that is still work in progress as my OpenELEC ShowBOX looks out of date.