Leecrellin

Feb 8, 2015
Hi all,

Im looking to try and install droid os on my Macbook so i can use certain apps like HD cinema etc , does anyone know if this is possible via VM Ware or any program like that ? i have had Droid os from a table running on my mac but cant find the Droidbox OS anywhere so cant try :-(

Thanks in advance

Lee

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
I sometimes use Genymotion on my PC, if I need an Android environment running on my PC. They've apparently got a Mac download as well.
Their installation guide for Windows PCs worked well, so head to https://www.genymotion.com/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter#!/download , click on the Mac link, download the file (you'll need to create an account with them first, they don't seem to have spammed me at all), and follow your nose. There is a YT video covering this topic -
- but it is from a year ago, so you may find version numbers or filenames are slightly different now.

Once you've got that up and running, you'll need to sideload the APKs for the apps you want to run. Head to ES File Explorer on your DroidBOX (from the list of all installed apps), and click on the Device / link found in the Local menu. Now head to /System/Preinstall . Copy the APKs from here that interest you to a USB device, or if they're small enough, you could e-mail them to yourself.
In Genymotion, open the APKs, and you'll be ready.

Ah, just re-read your post. If you've already got an Android OS running on your Mac, skip the Genymotion part above, and just copy the APK files I mentioned from /system/preinstall , using ES File Explorer or File Manager HD.

Don't forget you can also install XBMC natively on your Mac - http://kodi.tv/download/ - and then install your favourite add-ons there.

Leecrellin

Feb 8, 2015
Thanks so much for all your help so far mate, i have that installed now but non of the apps seem to work , and theres no option for droid box os , theres phones and tablets but thats it .

I have used xbmc for a long time but just wanted to have these droid apps installed as they are far more reliable .

Most of the apps seem to install and load when i install it on a tablet os , but when i try and click something to play it just takes me back to the main menu, could this be to do with resolution ?

Thanks again

lee

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
You don't need a DroidBOX firmware to run the Android applications, if you've got a friend with an Android tablet or phone, send them the APK and it should work fine other hardware.

On your Mac's Android emulation, I'd start with the basics and check network connectivity (does a website load in the Browser app), whether hardware acceleration can be turned off (install the MX Player application, open a video, and check whether Hardware, Hardware + and Software acceleration modes work (access MX Player's preferences via the ... in the top right I think)) in the apps that aren't displaying video, things like that. The different images you can use in Geny Motion, I'd try for a 720 or 1080 device, and rotate to landscape mode.