djob

Feb 2, 2017
Hi
On my VM router my ethernet connected droidbox is named DroidBOX_T8Mini. The device name on the droidbox is T8-SP-V2-MINI-6.0
After reading posts about VM snooping I would like to minimise exposing what devices are connected to my router.
I can't find a way to change the droidbox name on the router, so can I change the droidbox device name? And why would there be the difference in names between the device and router?
Many thanks.

Bollocks77

Aug 24, 2016
I dont know why the device name should be different. On my VM router the device name for my T8 Mini is exactly the same.
However - I have changed the device name on my device system if you know what I mean and I have also changed it on the router.
If you are on VM Super Hub - then go to 198.168.0.1 in your address bar in your browser. Enter into admin area and look for your connected devices. Simply change the name (I changed mine to NAS DRIVE) then save changes. Done!!!!
I am not convinced now after reading more posts if this actually makes a difference but I changed it anyway.
Im with VM and they actually asked me outright during a phone call if Im using any illegal kit!!!!
There is a thread on this subject.
Hope this helps
Dave

Reactions: SmokingElectronics

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
@djob Network name and descriptions held in the build.prop won't necessarily be the same.
http://forums.androidcentral.com/google-nexus-4/293909-change-device-name.html and https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.developersinfo.android.dns.changer&hl=en worth a look if enabling Developer Options (Settings>More Setting>About>Click the build number a few times in a row, go back a screen, click Developer Options) doesn't have a rename option.

Not sure it will actually do much to hide anything, I'd expect the URLs visited to trigger more than a device name.

VPN worth considering if you value your privacy. You're obviously free to try any provider in terms of VPN, but have a quick look over https://droidbox.co.uk/blog/droidbox-announces-partnership-with-ipvanish-vpn/ . At 99c for first month, you could probably afford to trial it and see how things go before deciding for sure.

Reactions: SmokingElectronics

djob

Feb 2, 2017
Hi Dave. Thanks for the reply. It was your post that prompted me.
@ChrisM I have been using IPVanish for a while, I have it on all my devices. I'll checkout your info. Perhaps I'm being over cautious, after all there is a lot of streaming content available to an android device.
Regards
David

Sent from my SM-G920F using DroidBOX Forums mobile app

SmokingElectronics

Jan 13, 2017
Hilbilly heaven
willitblend.com
Just remember software there already in your network, if you use a vpn firewall router it stops and spoofs incoming

Your ip provider can always see activities devices etc its a debate on how detailed information they see but the only thing changing names does is fun with the neighbors and hackers in my neighborhood we like to have name contest lol mine is trash panda we call raccoons trash pandas in the us lol