Clive Kay

Feb 6, 2015
I have installed Kodi and removed XBMC and all working fine ...How do I removed the XBMC button on the Box's menu system and replace it with the Kodi one. I have set up a Kodi button , but would like it in the main screen .

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
Easiest way long term is to switch to a stock launcher and create your own shortcuts or widgets.
You could unpack the launcher, edit the files, alter the shortcut icon and where it leads to, repack and sign the app, then copy it to the right system directory, change the permissions and reboot.

Personally I'd either switch to a launcher from the Play Store (Next, Go Launcher EX, people have different favourites). Don't click the ALWAYS option when selecting the new launcher... some don't interact well if you're using the original infrared remote control. . Either that or live with the non-functioning icon.
Another approach is to use something like Themer on any old stock-like launcher. See https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mycolorscreen.themer&hl=en It takes a while to personalize, but the breadth of available themes there is great.

stana

Feb 2, 2015
Hi SilentlyScreaming. I have just swapped the mediaboxlauncher.apk in the system directory with the launcher from another custom firmware I had and it worked a treat but it has the droid tv logo on it so I swapped back.
is there a way that droidbox could make just the launcher apk with the Kodi icon on the main screen that links to the kodi apk. so that we could copy it to the system directory. This would be great for those of us that have replaced xbmc with kodi and have a redundant button on the home screen.
This would eliminate the need for separate launcher or a firmware update.
I would try this myself but don't know which part to edit. I have unpacked the launcher but then got stuck.​

Nigelar

Feb 26, 2015
Having just updated to kodi 14.2 i now have this issue. Did you get manage to create a modified launcher to link to kodi? If not, is there any way i can revert to the stock android launcher so i can create my own customised home screen? I appreciate i could download a new launcher from google play as well but do not wish to do that yet.

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
The stock launcher on most firmwares was the DroidBOX one with the XBMC logo centre top.
The traditional generic Android stock style launcher will need to be from the playstore.
Apologies for this delay response.