marcstck

May 8, 2017
Hi, sorry for the deluge of questions, just a newbie trying to find his way…

I notice that when I exit certain apps they stay resident in the RAM memory. The Droid Box market seems to be one of the culprits. I've tried hitting the "kill" icon on the GUI, but this doesn't seem to get the job done. I've had to go into settings and force stop the app, from the list of running apps.

Am I doing something wrong? Also, how much memory is typically used when the box is idle? Seems I am currently using about 45% when on the home screen…

Nigelar

Feb 26, 2015
To be honest, android is very good at handling memory compared to say, iOS, auto closing non active resident apps, so i wouldn't really worry too much.

lordtoran

Aug 26, 2016
Bochum, NRW, Germany
Yes, Android is designed with fully automatic memory management in mind and does a good job at it. Even if you "exit" an app via the back button (as opposed to the home button or last used apps switcher), it may stay resident in memory for quite a while. This has the advantage for the OS to be able to restore the app without any lag if you re-open it. Some apps may save their state and will be restarted when re-opened and unloaded from memory, but will try to restore their last state. Services and apps displaying permanent notifications always remain loaded in memory. Force stopping those may even result in system instability.

Basically, the folks developing Android follow the sensible approach here that unused memory is wasted memory.

Reactions: ChrisM

8bitDev

Jul 2, 2015
Hi, sorry for the deluge of questions, just a newbie trying to find his way…

I notice that when I exit certain apps they stay resident in the RAM memory. The Droid Box market seems to be one of the culprits. I've tried hitting the "kill" icon on the GUI, but this doesn't seem to get the job done. I've had to go into settings and force stop the app, from the list of running apps.

Am I doing something wrong? Also, how much memory is typically used when the box is idle? Seems I am currently using about 45% when on the home screen…
Hi

You can use android assistant to kill the app runtime upon the box boot so processes/apps that you are not using are not activated at all.

You can also clear data/cache and close apps after you finish using them.

Regards

marcstck

May 8, 2017
Hi

You can use android assistant to kill the app runtime upon the box boot so processes/apps that you are not using are not activated at all.

You can also clear data/cache and close apps after you finish using them.

Regards
Thanks, will try this…