viggen66

Mar 19, 2017
Hi all,

I'm very pleased with this box but there's something I would like.

Everytime I boot the box the HDD starts automatically, making it spin even though I don't need it.

Is there a way to disable the HDD on boot, or having a app which could enable disable the HDD every time I wanted.

Thanks

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
There was a similar post to this, I don't think any Android based applications were found that could perform this.
One option was to connect the drive to a PC and use an app from the manufacturer to set the sleep time. This only applies when the drive manufacturer has actually created this software and such settings can be written to the drive. Not 100% it would work though, as the drive might be accessed regularly in the background by the system itself.
You could try unmounting the drive. Leave it 10/15 minutes and see if the drive then powers down. Not sure if you would then be able to get it online and mounted again though, without a reboot. If you'd like to try, start from the homescreen, click the Settings icon. Down one row, scroll to the far right and click More Settings. Now click on Storage, scroll down to the USB Storage section and select the Unmount shared storage option.

Anyone else got a suggestion?

viggen66

Mar 19, 2017
I own a Box with Sata interface, which we can turn on off on the settings of the box, also afterwards it was released an app which could do that, just run it, and HDD on and off.

I'm telling this because I use 80% of the time streaming videos and 20% watching through the HDD hence the question.

viggen66

Mar 19, 2017
Basically it was a command to the kernel

echo "1" > /sys/class/input/input1/sata_ctl

I need to know from Droidbox development team, what triggers sata

viggen66

Mar 19, 2017
Just want to know to the droidbox development team, which class of the kernel triggers sata, having an app to run a simple script is easy