Lars

Jun 29, 2016
I got an MXQ-Pro running Android 5.1 which is connected to a router via LAN and - as I share Internet connection with someone else - I want to change the DNS setting so that I can use the a Smart DNS service.
Is there any one who can tell me where in the set-up I do that?
Working out where and how to do this in WiFI is not a problem - it is the LAN (wired internet) which I can not work out!

[admin]
Removed product name, left technical details in place.

Last edited by a moderator:

thereaper123

Feb 14, 2015
WiFi as you say is no problem but wired connection it would need to be done in the router settings and how you go about that depends on your router model, if it supports it even and then whether you can just allocate the DNS connection to your specific device as you say its shared connection and as with most basic routers once you change DNS settings every device that connects to it goes through the dhcp server and is allocated its ip address and connection. Have a search about your router model, try logging into it's config page and see what options are available is good place to start, unless there is some easy android app but ones I seen all are for WiFi?

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
I've not got one to experiment with, but I'd be surprised if you could enter DNS for WiFi, but not Ethernet.

@Lars If you've got a More Settings option within the first Settings screen, click that, then look for Ethernet again. You're looking to turn off DHCP mode, it might mention Static IP address, or Manually Specify. Enter in the desired IP, subnet, gateway, and obviously the DNS details you need.

I've asked @Dave C and @hushamdroidbox to take a look on the device, but for now, try the above.

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
Confirmation the settings are accessible for switching from DHCP to manual on Ethernet:

Settings - Network - Ethernet - Advanced Options ... then change between DHCP and Static

hat tip to @Dave C for the checking.