Mushyp1981

Sep 5, 2014
Evening folks. I am struggling to find the correct settings in 16.1 (on android side of things) that will allow me to play DD 5.1 sound. I have no issue with it in openelec 6.0.0 as I just have 2.0 channels and enable passthrough but in Kodi 16.1 there are more options and I have tried most combinations but to no avail. Whenever I enable passthrough, be it Android, IEC passthrough or Android, RAW passthrough I get no sound and without passthrough I just get pro logic. This can't be a hardware issue as I get it in openelec. Anyone any advice?

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
@David Savage - Any advice regarding Kodi 16.1 and surround sound beyond Pro Logic?

yay-may4th-171.gif

Reactions: David Savage

angela

Mar 3, 2015
Hi, This is the advice from the Morepower addon in kodi to get 5.1 DD, most of his movies are in 5.1.
Go to System > System >
Audio output device - select hdmi or optical.
Number of channels - 2.0.
Scroll down and Enable passthrough.
Select Dolby digital capable receiver and Enable Dolby digital transcoding.

Hope it work's for you.

Mushyp1981

Sep 5, 2014
Hi, thanks for all the advice. I think it was an issue with the wookie build I was using, I changed to pulse and it has been fine

fenwig

Jun 19, 2016
This does work for DD and DTS but I see no way to get the droidbox T8s to passthrough the HD sound (HD master etc). I cannot set Kodi to output the required bitstream via HDMI. All HD sounds seem to be decoded/ transposed to DD or DTS when using passthrough. I also use a mede8er to drive my projector and this has no problem in sending this data - my bluray isos sound great, in proper HD sound. All the settings in the forums are for transposing. No settings I have found in Droidbox allow me to set the passthrough to anything apart from DD or DTS; or not as it seems the alternative of sending a lossless LPCM conversion by disabling the passthrough- if shield player can do it, why not droidbox?

Last edited:

David Savage

Aug 3, 2014
Somewhere over the rainbow
I dont use this format on kodi as you need a fast broadband speed. I've have tried and does work...on the T8-S go out of kodi and at the main boot menu go setting and then Advanced. Here you can scroll down and turn on DTS HD.
Inside kodi go to system and system again, then Audio output. Make sure number of channels is 2.0, and enable passthrough. Also enable Dolby digital and DTS and enable Dolby transcoding too.
Hope this helps you.

Reactions: Sal

fenwig

Jun 19, 2016
Unless I am missing something, the main boot menu settings talk about transcoding but I cannot find anywhere that specifically mentions DTS HD or HD MASTER, any chance of a screenshot. Also, the bitstream required needs more than 2.0 to be transmitted?

David Savage

Aug 3, 2014
Somewhere over the rainbow
When you turn your box on, on the 1st menu go to the two cogs (setting) and then Advanced near the bottom it says about DTS HD.
Inside kodi it's set to 2.0 because then your decoder inside your amp converts it to the relevant surround sound.
Sorry at this moment no pics or screen shots.

Good luck

Last edited:
Reactions: Sal