kevin byrne

Dec 27, 2014
Hi

I live in Portugal and my wifi is via a Vodafone 4g router contracted to give me download speed of 20mbps. This works fine, and I can actually achieve 23mbps on my Android phone, and 20mbps on my desktop computer which is at the other end of the house from the router. My Droidbox which lives right next to the router give me a max of 13mbps. It does not really cause a problem, but sometimes on some apps they do not work so well, particularly Mobdro. Can anybody come up with an idea as to why there is such a difference in doenlowd speed - upload speed on all devices is similar.

Many thanks

Nigelar

Feb 26, 2015
13mbps is fine for mobdro. Mobdro not working well is due to other things, most likely to many users streaming a particular show or sporting event.
Wifi is not brilliant on these boxes which might explain the differences (i get much faster speeds on my mobile phone, although there is technically nothing i can do with all those spare megabits).

kevin byrne

Dec 27, 2014
Ok, thanks for that. My router will not accept an Ethernet cable, but I seem to remember reading that I can send a wifi signal to some piece of kit and then run an Ethernet cable from there to the Droidbox. Am I correct?? If so what is this piece of kit called??

Sorry to sound a bit thick - it's my age!!

Nigelar

Feb 26, 2015
I use wifi extenders for our other rooms.
Basically there are 2 types:
1. You connect your router via ethernet to a plug which then uses the ring main as your network, with a plug at the destination connected to the box by ethernet. I don't have this type and it sounds like it wont work for you without an ethernet port on your router.

2. Wifi booster. Plug room where the box is. The router sends the wifi signal to the booster. You can then connect the booster to the android box via ethernet (better) or wifi. This is the type i have. Seems to work well for me.

kevin byrne

Dec 27, 2014
Hi Nigelar - just for your interest, I got a Wi- Fi extender - it made no difference at all to the download speed of the Droidbox. But yesterday by accident my VPN which is Tunnelbear, and which I keep running all the time, got disconnected. I had also unplugged the extender. On a whim I did a speedtest and got 24Mbps, I tried 4 more times - same result, then put the VPN back live and dropped to 12Mpbs. So it is the VPN that is slowing my box down. I haven't got a clue why, and will of course need to use it still for certain apps. Thought you may be interested, and maybe have an idea why??

Many thanks