crooooooky

Sep 24, 2015
Hi everyone can you please help I have had little to no success so far with my new droidbox. I have installed a 500gb hdd from my old ps4 to give me more storage. I cannot get the box to use it for anything.

Xbmc is so ooooh slow and freezing and I'm guessing it's because I have 51mb of storage left.

So is it possible to install the apps or cache files onto that hard drive somehow.

Many thanks in advance

Paul.

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
Yes, with 51Mb of storage space left, you'll encounter problems.

With the hard drive fitted in and connected up, switch to openELEC and format the hard drive (you'll end up with an ext4 partition) from there. It'll then be visible in both Android and openELEC (don't forget the format will wipe all data from the drive).
See
for details of formatting the drive.

The drive will be under /VAR/MEDIA in openELEC, and if you're in Android then open the ES File Explorer app and the drive should be listed at the bottom of the LOCAL menu on the left.

You can't move apps to the drive, as it is treated as external storage by Android, but you can copy and paste downloads across.

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
51Mb of space is the major issue first, open ES File Explorer, then the SC CARD ANALYST feature in the TOOLS menu on the left. Click through the folders until you find the (probably temporary) files that are consuming all your space. Once located, make sure you're happy to delete them, and then long click on the files you want to delete (to tick them) then the delete button at the bottom.

David Savage

Aug 3, 2014
Somewhere over the rainbow
You also might need to clear the recycle bin, witch is in the same area...
It worth checking everything is running ok before you do, as if you find you've deleted something you need you can go here and re-install it.
If you are happy just clear it and it will free up space...