Fireandskill

Jan 18, 2015
Ive just bought the Droidbox 7. plugged the power supply into the socket in the living room. The box did not power up and no blue light appears. I then plugged it into the socket in the kitchen and it powered up. The socket in the kitchen is the only place in the whole house hat the box will turn on. I then tried it again in the living room and the box blew. Is there an issue with the power supply that comes with the box? Does the T8 have a different power supply ?

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
The different models we sell do have their own power supplies, yes. Apart from the size of the plug involved, there are at least two different voltages (5V and 12V) that I've come across so far. When you mentioned that the box blew when you plugged it into the power supply in the living room, how exactly did the device blow?

Fireandskill

Jan 18, 2015
Thanks for getting back to me. When I tried to turn the box on for the last time.......there was a little smoke and then a burning smell from the droidbox itself, so sounds like the circuit board. As the UK plug sockets are standard amp of 13v, is there a solution for this?

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
Anything plugged into the mains in Britain should be able to cope with 200-250Volts AC, yes.
However it is their OUTPUT that is important, primarily the voltage, but also the polarity of the plug (so which part of the plug is + and which is -/ground).
There is also the factor of how much power the supply can give a device, as you'll need up to 2 Amps (normally at 5v DC) for some operations, but that wouldn't come into play with something blowing up instantly.
If the power supply in your living room outputs a different voltage or has +/- reversed, you may well have fried your DroidBOX.

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
I'm not meaning the mains socket on your wall, but the actual power supply you used. Or did I misunderstand your original comment? Ah, I think I may have, sorry. The only thing I can think of right now would be that the pins on the AC plug are at a weird angle and only one socket in your house was able to make a good connection.
I'd originally thought you used a different power adapter for your blown up DroidBOX. To return to an earlier question, the T8 has a different sized plug on the power supply, compared to the X7, I'm not sure you can actually fit an X7 power supply's plug into a T8's socket?

Fireandskill

Jan 18, 2015
Yeah thats right its the main socket. I used the adapter that came with the droidbox. I may return this and then buy the T8 to see if that works.

Fireandskill

Jan 18, 2015
Yerah thats right. I bought it through Amazon and have requested a refund. Shall I just wait until a receive a response through Amazon? Once refunded I will try the T8.

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
Yes, if you've sent a message via Amazon, it still ends up in our inbox, don't worry. If you've not heard back via Amazon by lunchtime, give me a prod and I'll check if the message is hiding in the wrong folder.