pibitvillage

Jul 16, 2014
Ukraine
Has anyone tried a dvd player from liteon in xbmc?
I cannot get x7 to recognise the liteon dvd player.
Is tyere a plugin needed for this?
Model, eSAAU 208-36 2

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
Are you wanting to watch DVD movies (as in a disc that can be purchased in a shop), or watch videos that have been burnt to a recordable disc on a PC (for example)?

With my Samsung SE-S084D external slimline DVD drive, I can not get Android to recognize the device is attached if I leave the drive in normal mode. However, if I switch to "AV Compatible Mode", by ejecting the tray, then pressing the eject button again twice in a row, it works fine, after about 1 or 2 minutes of an automatic mounting procedure (displayed as a notification).

Check if your drive has a different mode. I only ever noticed mine did because I unknowingly/accidentally switched modes and looked strange on a Windows PC.

You shouldn't need add-ons, as it is a USB device, and unless you've got a weird file structure/formatting system on your DVD, it should be fine. I should point out that in XBMC I could only directly play the VOB files of a DVD, it didn't seem to recognize the DVD video as anything other than a collection of files.

Ah... it is possible that DVD Movie playback capability requires a license - see the thread here - http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=17877
However, make sure Android can see the drive (via ES File Explorer or your preferred app), before shelling out on that.

pibitvillage

Jul 16, 2014
Ukraine
Thats strange, I plugged it into pi and it picked it up straight away and played the whole movie with menu.
I have rasbmc so everything is there all plugins the lot so thats what made me think it needs the codecs etc.
Ill try the av mode on the x7 later when the tv is free :cool:
Thanks.

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
Do double check that your DVD drive does actually switch modes. It may be called something else, more technical, with different manufacturers. Oh, and don't forget to keep an eye on the notification area, until the disc is mounted, the device didn't appear under /mnt/usb_storage at all (different firmwares may use different labels)

pibitvillage

Jul 16, 2014
Ukraine
Cannot find an AV mode, its either blue light on or off, even tried it in the smart tv Samsung and that didnt pick it up either, so I am assuming its a dvd player thats not compatable. 8-(

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
I don't use the AV compatible mode on my drive, if we were a little more local, I'd happily swap the DVD drives with you :) Did you try ejecting the tray and pressing the eject button in different patterns?

pibitvillage

Jul 16, 2014
Ukraine
The dvd has a tailed usb ie two usb coming off one and it also has a power lead.
I have tried ejecting and playing SOS lol on the switch and ejecting to Phil Collins on his drums but nope nothing :cool:
Ill try on the pi powered hub but to be honest I think the game is played out with a second hand dvd player from a friend.

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
I've the same power/data+power USB plugs on my lead, useful for one of my cheap external drives that didn't come with a power adapter, and doesn't always get enough juice from laptop USB power sockets. Fingers crossed for your friend's drive working (or is that what this one is?)

Reactions: pibitvillage