ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
Nothing set in stone yet, but I would like to move us away from ES File Explorer in new firmwares.

Over the years the app has become a little bloated and with their history of adverts and new features that annoy, I hope to find a suitable replacement.

Off the top of my head:
Astro File Manager (not used in a long, long time)
File Manager HD (for a while this is the app we preinstalled, before ES File Explorer)
Root browser (JRummy one, I think there are few with similar names)
Total Commander ((used to have?) a very old fashioned interface)

I can't promise:
a) That we will DEFINITELY change to a different app
b) That the app selected will be the most popular one here
c) That something you consider an absolutely necessary killer feature will be something in the app chosen.

With that all said, does anyone have input on the suggestions/experience of the alternatives I listed, or have others to recommend? Something you feel a file explorer MUST have?

PS If you wrote the app yourself, you are very welcome to create a new account here to post it as a suggestion, but we'll be listening to our existing customers mostly.
PPS Not making this a poll, at least yet, as we don't know which others people will suggest.

Suggestions so far:
File Commander

Explorer

Solid Explorer - 14 days demo at https://play.google.com/store/apps/developer?id=NeatBytes or did you mean Solid Explorer Classic at https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=pl.solidexplorer @Graham Barnes ?

Last edited:

Fritz-69

May 28, 2016
File Commander is good. Its got all the basic requirements you would expect.

surya kumar

Mar 18, 2017
You can have a look at these also
FX File Explorer
Cabinet
Amaze
File Expert
Ant TechExplorer
Sliding Explorer

lightbodyae55

Jan 3, 2017
Hi ChrisM

I used Astro File manager today in place of ES File Manager and found it a lot easier to use, my wife swears by Astro File Manager she thinks its the best file manager to use.

lightbodyae55