Geraint Reynolds

Sep 17, 2016
Hi guys, I'm very new to droidbox and streaming so please forgive me if this is not the right place to post this.

I am looking for some guidance in ethernet cables to connect my T8-Plus to my router.

Just to set the scene, my router is in my office in my attic. My droidbox in my lounge on the ground floor.

I had planned to run an ethernet cable from my router, down the inside of my chimney breast (unused of course) and out to my droidbox. The distance is about 30 / 35 meters.

I had this cable from Amazon but the reduction in internet speed is terrible. https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B009XSF20S/ref=cm_sw_r_wa_apa_8aX3xbW4SM991

If I connect a 5m cat6 cable from my router to my laptop I get 204 meg. Via this cable, I'm lucky to get 60 meg.

I thought there should be no or little reduction until 100m of cable.

Greatful for any help or suggestions

David Savage

Aug 3, 2014
Somewhere over the rainbow
To be fair 60 meg is still good...full HD you need around 6 to 10 and with 5.1 audio 8 to 12.
So it should be fine, but you could aways try wireless with an adaptor which uses you electric supply to boost your signal.
But as long as it works don't worry...

Geraint Reynolds

Sep 17, 2016
Thanks for the reply David.

I should have said that I currently have my box connected via powerline, but my speed is then around 20 meg.

It's OK when watching movies, but any live TV, I get constant buffering.

Even when I connected my box using this Amazon cable and got 60 meg, I couldn't watch live TV due to the buffering.

I have also used various streams, so I would have thought I had ruled out the stream as the issue.

I can only watch SD on live TV, but the picture then isn't great and still get some buffer.

Nigelar

Feb 26, 2015
I would suggest that the buffering issue is more likely to be a the host server end than an issue with your Droidbox/Ethernet connection. As Dave says, even 20mbps is more than enough for HD streaming, providing the host server can cope. Many of us get buffering from time to time, especially with live sports. That's one of the downsides of free streaming vs a guaranteed paid for service via one of the main providers.

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
Looks like there may be different batches of that cable, given that some reported winter-proofing "gloop" in their cable, while another reviewer found none. Re 20Mbit via powerline adapters, could be worth temporarily unplugging everything you can from your mains electricity (don't forget to reconnect fridge/freezer before defrosting occurs!). Re-run the speedtest. If it improves, plug in electrical devices a few at a time, and re-test the speed. If you find that something is causing interference (fridge/microwave/washing machine etc), you might find you can get a mains filter for the noisy device.