erdie

Dec 22, 2015
Hi,

I have an external HDD connected to my t8-s plus and successfully scanned the hdd and added all of my videos to the library. Whenever I reboot and start Kodi in Android and try to play a video file it says that it cannot find the file in the library and asks if I want to remove it. Has anyone else had this problem?

I can manually search for the files by finding my drive in the file manager and it will play the
themm no problem, but this is a long winded way of playing the files and defeats the object of having kodi.

I can use openelec and it reads the files successfully, but I get jerky playback in openelec.

8bitDev

Jul 2, 2015
Hi,

I have an external HDD connected to my t8-s plus and successfully scanned the hdd and added all of my videos to the library. Whenever I reboot and start Kodi in Android and try to play a video file it says that it cannot find the file in the library and asks if I want to remove it. Has anyone else had this problem?

I can manually search for the files by finding my drive in the file manager and it will play the
themm no problem, but this is a long winded way of playing the files and defeats the object of having kodi.

I can use openelec and it reads the files successfully, but I get jerky playback in openelec.
Hi

Can you please message us which box model do you have and which Kodi version are you running on Android?

In order to fix playback under system>video>acceleration(will be visible once settings are set up to the expert mode)you can see which methods are activated.

Please message us below and we will tell you which one you should turn OFF!

Regards

thereaper123

Feb 14, 2015
Is the drive formatted FAT32? Can cause issues in kodi as max file size is 4gb with FAT32, this will cause issues in kodi esp HD content so this would be the avenue to go down ;)

erdie

Dec 22, 2015
Hi

Can you please message us which box model do you have and which Kodi version are you running on Android?

In order to fix playback under system>video>acceleration(will be visible once settings are set up to the expert mode)you can see which methods are activated.

Please message us below and we will tell you which one you should turn OFF!

Regards

I think that you have misunderstood the problem.

What is happening is that I scanned the content on my HD and this created a library in Kodi, but after a couple of days it seems to stop scanning the HD and if I try to play a file from the Library it says "Cannot find the file, do you want to remove it from the library". I have to rescan the HD to get everything back, this seems to happen every couple of days.

The playback in Kodi on Android is fine.

Openelec seems to be okay with the library and keeps my files and scans them okay. But I do have jerky playback problems in Openelec and it doesn't have video>acceleration options. I have looked and cannot find any. The files that I have problems with in Openelec are mainly standard definition videos, HD video seems to pay fine.

I may need to return the box as It is pointless having it if isn't playing my videos.

Last edited:

erdie

Dec 22, 2015
I noticed another thing last night, my box seems to be losing its memory on somethings.

A few weeks ago I connected a bluetooth headset to android and it worked perfectly and everytime I use the headset I just had to turn it on and the t8-s plus connected automatically, This week it has stopped automatically connecting and I have had to manually pair them again everytime I want to use the headphones.

I'm sure that a couple of Kodi setting seem to keep reverting to the default option, not all of them but just a couple. I noticed yesterday that the region settings had changed back to the US. The subtiltle settings had changed as well and although I can get subtiltles for a film or tv show, they are not downloaded and saved, so I if I stop haflway through, I need to get 'download' them again when I try to watch the rest of the film.

Is this tied in with Kodi forgetting my library and not scanning the library on start-up?

This all seems to have started in the last couple of weeks.

Should I do a factory reset on the box or just restore Kodi?

One more thing, I can't get bluetooth to work on openelec, does anyone else have this problem and how can I fix it?

8bitDev

Jul 2, 2015
The HD is formatted NTFS.
Hi

Ok here is the problem.

Please use OpenELEC to format the HDD to more Linux friendly format(ext4 will be used by default)once you format the drive!

Android and OpenELEC are both Linux,but android is solely android OS while openELEC is based on GNU operating system.While they do share the same kernel(sort of)they are not the same as their OSes are totally different built!

Regards

erdie

Dec 22, 2015
Hi

Ok here is the problem.

Please use OpenELEC to format the HDD to more Linux friendly format(ext4 will be used by default)once you format the drive!

Android and OpenELEC are both Linux,but android is solely android OS while openELEC is based on GNU operating system.While they do share the same kernel(sort of)they are not the same as their OSes are totally different built!

Regards

I have had other older kodi/xbmc boxes that have worked fine with a ntfs formatted external hard drive. I dont think that is the problem and in over 10 years I have never heard or read anyone saying that the hd format would affect anything.

I think that the problem is with the box.

Last edited:

thereaper123

Feb 14, 2015
Have your time and date settings remained with current? I have heard of cheaper Chinese clones reverting all the time to the dreaded 1970 and the time being wrong, this then would mess up lots of other things on the box, web browsing was the giveaway as it would state the page was insecure or something along those lines even though it was fine yesterday! Sounds like it could be the same with your settings reverting and changing, just a thought

Reactions: erdie

erdie

Dec 22, 2015
Have your time and date settings remained with current? I have heard of cheaper Chinese clones reverting all the time to the dreaded 1970 and the time being wrong, this then would mess up lots of other things on the box, web browsing was the giveaway as it would state the page was insecure or something along those lines even though it was fine yesterday! Sounds like it could be the same with your settings reverting and changing, just a thought

Thanks for the suggestion. I did think about that yesterday, but I only checked the time, I will check the time, date and location later. I had a similar thing happen recently with a windows tablet, I couldn't download any apps, I was trying for days and read loads of suggestions online, then I noticed the time, date and location were all wrong.

Reactions: thereaper123

8bitDev

Jul 2, 2015
I have had other older kodi/xbmc boxes that have worked fine with a ntfs formatted external hard drive. I dont think that is the problem and in over 10 years I have never heard or read anyone saying that the hd format would affect anything.

I think that the problem is with the box.
Hi

Please give it a try and message with results afterwards!

Regards

erdie

Dec 22, 2015
Hi

Please give it a try and message with results afterwards!

Regards

My problem is not with playback, it is that kodi seems to be losing the settings the t8s-plus seems to be losing settings and the library everycouple of days.

Why would NFTS affect this? I can't find any other info about this on the web, can you give me a link to others who have had the same problem and solved it by formatting to ext4?

All information that I can find says that Kodi and Android were designed to work with NTFS just as well a EXT4.

I have never had this problem on any other Android Kodi box.

erdie

Dec 22, 2015
I will give it a try, but it will take me the rest of the week. How am I meant to format the externa hd?

8bitDev

Jul 2, 2015
I will give it a try, but it will take me the rest of the week. How am I meant to format the externa hd?
Hi

In order to format HDD please use openELEC.

Once in openELEC go below system>openELEC>system>format HDD,after that is done scroll down and click on reboot to android!

Regards

thegazsheard

Dec 7, 2015
Disconnect your external first as a precaution. I did it once believing it to be the internal and it formatted the external

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk