DroidBox User

Apr 20, 2018
I know that there is the Recovery Menu, that can be used to reflash firmware in case of firmware failure. This is entered using the Reset Button.

But is the recovery menu 'always' there, in all cases of firmware failure?, I ask as I have seen traces of it in firmware images, so it might be a part of the update firmware file, so will not be available in all cases of firmware flash failure.

Is there some way apart from the recovery menu, to flash firmware, no matter how bad the firmware flash failure was, e.g. flashing an completely empty file (assuming it happened). What are the alternative re-flash method choices in this situation?

I have seen a USB method, with software on PC to do the flashing. But what minimum condition does this reply the device to be in ?

sean99

Aug 7, 2014
The recovery menu is seperate from the dbx firmware, if you were to flash another amlogic f/w you will lose LibreElec. I learned the hard way, so would advise to leave well alone.

DroidBox User

Apr 20, 2018
The recovery menu is seperate from the dbx firmware, if you were to flash another amlogic f/w you will lose LibreElec. I learned the hard way, so would advise to leave well alone.

What did you do in your case ?, flash another models firmware ?. Does the Recovery Menu and also the Desktop Updater not verify if the correct model of firmware is being used ?

sean99

Aug 7, 2014
Was impatient and flashed the latest libreelec update (kodi 17.6) before dbx released it, also used the install to internal command and it wiped out the android side of my box. You are right that the recovery menu will not install an incompatible f/w. My tinkering foolishly came from a need (I thought) to get the latest updates installed, but if you buy a box from a box seller each individual seller has their own layout/ apps preinstalled. Just use what you need rather than play around with different f/w's (just to get your personal tastes) with a good possibility of bricking the thing.

DroidBox User

Apr 20, 2018
Was impatient and flashed the latest libreelec update (kodi 17.6) before dbx released it, also used the install to internal command and it wiped out the android side of my box. You are right that the recovery menu will not install an incompatible f/w. My tinkering foolishly came from a need (I thought) to get the latest updates installed, but if you buy a box from a box seller each individual seller has their own layout/ apps preinstalled. Just use what you need rather than play around with different f/w's (just to get your personal tastes) with a good possibility of bricking the thing.

Did you flash a Droidbox made Firmware / LibreElec Update ?.

What is this 'install to internal command' ?

How do you know that the recovery menu will block incompatible firmware?

Were you able to recover ?, did you try the USB to PC update method?

sean99

Aug 7, 2014
Was running the latest Libreelec update (non dbx f/w) from sd card but used putty to install it to the boxes internal memory wiping android out unbeknown to me, stuck with a box capable of running android and linux side by side but only able to use L E. No other f/w zips dbx included will install from sd card, to use amlogic burning tool on a pc to install f/w you need a disk image not a zip file of which I can only get access to. Proceed with caution!

DroidBox User

Apr 20, 2018
Was running the latest Libreelec update (non dbx f/w) from sd card but used putty to install it to the boxes internal memory wiping android out unbeknown to me, stuck with a box capable of running android and linux side by side but only able to use L E. No other f/w zips dbx included will install from sd card, to use amlogic burning tool on a pc to install f/w you need a disk image not a zip file of which I can only get access to. Proceed with caution!

What is this putty install method, and how did you discover it?.

But latest firmware is in disk iamge version also: https://droidboxforums.com/threads/firmware-links-for-t8-s-plus-v1-devices.10001/

sean99

Aug 7, 2014
To use that command you have to shsh into a device using putty from a pc. My tinkering was on the T8 mini with no disk image available on the site.

Ackowildcat

Dec 14, 2015
Hi can anyone help had my 2 t8-plus for over 2 years now been great but now it try's to start up but after a few seconds the droidbox logo comes on screen then the box's power button (red) switch's off, I've tried the recovery way but after clearing all data the box stills does the same when I try to restart again ?????

Dave C

Staff member
Marketing
Sep 1, 2015
London
www.droix.co.uk
Hi can anyone help had my 2 t8-plus for over 2 years now been great but now it try's to start up but after a few seconds the droidbox logo comes on screen then the box's power button (red) switch's off, I've tried the recovery way but after clearing all data the box stills does the same when I try to restart again ?????

Have you tried reflashing the firmware which can be found on these forums? You will to check which T8-S Plus version you have before doing so. If you are not sure, please email [email protected] with your order number, or full name and post code.

Ackowildcat

Dec 14, 2015
I'm not able to stay on the droidbox long enough to do any flashing in the main setting section,I need some update via zip or download so i can save it to my sd/card and use the recovery menu,But i'm lost why it as suddenly done all of this.

Dave C

Staff member
Marketing
Sep 1, 2015
London
www.droix.co.uk
Can you please contact us at [email protected] with your order number, or full name and post code so we can confirm which device you have and then we can provide the correct information on how to reflash it. Thanks.

Ackowildcat

Dec 14, 2015
Dave I have already sent a email reply to an email I received about my problem, But unfortunately I no longer can find my original order email and numbers as I have bought 2 from you.

Dave C

Staff member
Marketing
Sep 1, 2015
London
www.droix.co.uk
We should be able to find them from the post code the order was sent to. Please reply to the email with the details and we can check. Thanks.

DroidBox User

Apr 20, 2018
To use that command you have to shsh into a device using putty from a pc. My tinkering was on the T8 mini with no disk image available on the site.

It is, at least now it is (Disk Image file): https://droidboxforums.com/threads/firmware-links-for-t8-mini-devices.10486/

With a T8 Mini, I have used the USB connection to PC and the AmLogic USB Burning Tool, together with a Disk Image file, to restore the firmware. (Had to retry the flash process several times, due to receiving error codes, but it finally worked).