FRANKDEMARIANY

Dec 30, 2022
Hi Everyone!

Total noob here so I'm sorry if this has been asked before.

I have an RG351V and when I try to load arcade games or some psx games, I am getting an error. Any tips on how to fix it?

Also, I notice when downloading the PSX games, there are many files to extract. Do I need them all?

Thanks for the help!

Graham1

Nov 30, 2021
Hi Frankdemariany

What type of errors do you get? PSX and Arcade games "may" need some bios/extra files to be able to run. I can't remember if these are included but may be the cause.

For PSX games, I would suggest using CHDMAN. This comes included in Mame. This tool will allow you create 1 file (*.chd). This is a command line tool and to be able to use this, enter... CHDMAN createcd -i "<game>.cue" -o "<game>.chd".

:)

FRANKDEMARIANY

Dec 30, 2022
Thanks for the reply!

Here are some of the things that I am seeing.

For CHDMAN, do I just download it?

Attachments

• IMG_3358.jpg
    IMG_3358.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 110
  • IMG_3359.jpg
    IMG_3359.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 101

Graham1

Nov 30, 2021
Depends on what OS you are running. If Windows, I believe it is available from the MAME installer. I'm running Fedora (Linux)

I own the RG351MP (same hardware but looks different). Are you running the frontend that came with the device? I'm using Amber Elec which may be different to what you are using.

From my testing, I was able to run from RetroArch (standalone) to confirm that the rom was ok (wwfwfest.zip). However, when run from the frontend (Amber Elec), it would try to load and then automatically close (could be the same issue). Looking at what cores were being used (for Arcade), it was set to "Auto" and showed a list of cores below. Having set to FinalBurn Neo (FBNeo), I was then able to play the game. Doing the same "may" help you.

Reactions: FRANKDEMARIANY

Graham1

Nov 30, 2021
Regarding Diddy Kong Racing, it would not start under "Auto". The same issues also with RetroArch (Parallel N64 & MUPEN64PLUS) and RetroRun (Parallel N64). However, setting to Mupen64Plussa (M64P GL64MK2 & M64P Rice), both off these worked. I'm guessing in my case, this could be a bios issue.

FRANKDEMARIANY

Dec 30, 2022
I'm a novice with this stuff so I will try to answer it correctly...lol.

I'm running with whatever came with the device with seems to be Retroarch.

So should I put the arcade game in the FB Neo folder?

Silly question, but how do I set it to M64P GL64MK2 & M64P Rice?

Thanks for the help!

Graham1

Nov 30, 2021
The "Arcade" folder should be ok. I am going to download and install the firmware that came with the device to better advise you. Although the mentioned emulators/cores worked for me, this is on a different firmware (GUI). Do none of the arcade and N64 roms not work? This would indicate that it is a configuration issue rather than the rom(s).

Last edited:

Graham1

Nov 30, 2021
Ok, I think I'm running the same firmware now. Does it report as being EMUELEC ES V3.8? The text is orange and the 2 splash screens show an N64 controller (bottom middle) and an arcade controller (red joystick with 6 buttons) in the same position. This is under FinalBurn Neo.

For my testing, I am using only 1 sd card (32GB). This card is showing 3 partitions (firmware, games & storage). For some reason, my "storage" partition is already full (this included the "Arcade" folder). The "Games" paritition is allowing me to save both these games under the "FBNEO" and "N64" folders. Both worked without having to make any changes.

The following cores were used:-

N64: ParaLLEl N64 (2.0-rc2)
FBNeo: FinalBurn Neo v0.2.97.44

Above cores running on RetroArch 1.8.9.

FRANKDEMARIANY

Dec 30, 2022
The "Arcade" folder should be ok. I am going to download and install the firmware that came with the device to better advise you. Although the mentioned emulators/cores worked for me, this is on a different firmware (GUI). Do none of the arcade and N64 roms not work? This would indicate that it is a configuration issue rather than the rom(s).

I have N64 roms that work for sure. I tried a ROM for MAME 037b11 and it works! So it seems to be the regular MAME if that makes sense?

FRANKDEMARIANY

Dec 30, 2022
Ok, I think I'm running the same firmware now. Does it report as being EMUELEC ES V3.8? The text is orange and the 2 splash screens show an N64 controller (bottom middle) and an arcade controller (red joystick with 6 buttons) in the same position. This is under FinalBurn Neo.

For my testing, I am using only 1 sd card (32GB). This card is showing 3 partitions (firmware, games & storage). For some reason, my "storage" partition is already full (this included the "Arcade" folder). The "Games" paritition is allowing me to save both these games under the "FBNEO" and "N64" folders. Both worked without having to make any changes.

The following cores were used:-

N64: ParaLLEl N64 (2.0-rc2)
FBNeo: FinalBurn Neo v0.2.97.44

Above cores running on RetroArch 1.8.9.

Sorry, I have no idea what any of that means...lol

Graham1

Nov 30, 2021
That MAME version is very old, so you would need to get the exact rom(s) for that version. Personally, I would look for roms for FBNeo only. Some MAME roms "may" work with FBNeo but it's a bit hit and miss.

Regarding my second reply, I'm just trying to get as much info on your setup as possible, so I can replicate your setup/issues. Have you gone into the menu's of your device or do you just drop the roms into the particular folders?

As some of you roms work and others don't, it could be certain roms that are the issue. Have you tried different roms?

Reactions: FRANKDEMARIANY

FRANKDEMARIANY

Dec 30, 2022
That MAME version is very old, so you would need to get the exact rom(s) for that version. Personally, I would look for roms for FBNeo only. Some MAME roms "may" work with FBNeo but it's a bit hit and miss.

Regarding my second reply, I'm just trying to get as much info on your setup as possible, so I can replicate your setup/issues. Have you gone into the menu's of your device or do you just drop the roms into the particular folders?

As some of you roms work and others don't, it could be certain roms that are the issue. Have you tried different roms?

Got it okay that makes sense.

I haven't spent much time into the menus of the device. Just dropping the roms into the folders.

I'm using the ROMS from emulatorgames.net. Do you have any recommendations?

Thanks again for the help!

Graham1

Nov 30, 2021
It looks like to can change the cores used within the GUI (start, games settings, per system advanced settings...). Having retested, MAME is now throwing up that error. This was with the rom mentioned from the site above and my original rom (which worked yesterday). Changing cores didn't help. Going forward, I would look at getting roms compatible with FBNeo and use MAME roms only when not supported by FBNeo.