jeroenj_1989

Oct 31, 2016
I have been using the T8S plus for some time now, with H264 everything works as expected.
However, I have big problems with H265 files.

When I try to watch a H265 video on Android the whole system freezes.
This happens with all video apps I have tried (native video player, VLC, Kodi on Android).
Often the behaviour is the same: System freezes and I have to reboot.
Sometimes the video does play; but then there is no sound.

On the LibreELEC (I have updated to the lastest OTA a few weeks ago) there are also problems with H265.
When I try to watch a video, there are either problems where the video feed is very distorted.
Or the audio is just a lot of noise.

On my Windows PC the files play absolutely correctly.

The files are stored on my Synology NAS, which is wired to the Droidbox using Gigabit wires and switch.

How can I solve this issue? I bought a Droidbox specifically because its claimed to have hardware decoding for HEVC H265.

Thanks in advance,

Jeroen
The Netherlands

Attachments

• Archer h 265.jpg
    Archer h 265.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 158

Bollocks77

Aug 24, 2016
I have the T8 Mini connected to a NAS drive using just openelec and the files you mention are spot on. Although I dont know the answer to your problem Sorry.
Someone will be able to help you on here.

Reactions: erdie

jeroenj_1989

Oct 31, 2016
Yesterday I did another OTA with latest software.
This did seem to fix the Android playback of the Archer mentioned file.

However when I tried another H265 file (sorry did not print the codec yet) it played sound but no video.
Then switched to LibreELEC and there is either no sound and correct video, or vice versa.

Cannot imagine I am the only one having problems with this, or could it be my unit is faulty?

admin

Staff member
Jul 14, 2014
United Kingdom
droix.co.uk
We have tested the
I have been using the T8S plus for some time now, with H264 everything works as expected.
However, I have big problems with H265 files.

When I try to watch a H265 video on Android the whole system freezes.
This happens with all video apps I have tried (native video player, VLC, Kodi on Android).
Often the behaviour is the same: System freezes and I have to reboot.
Sometimes the video does play; but then there is no sound.

On the LibreELEC (I have updated to the lastest OTA a few weeks ago) there are also problems with H265.
When I try to watch a video, there are either problems where the video feed is very distorted.
Or the audio is just a lot of noise.

On my Windows PC the files play absolutely correctly.

The files are stored on my Synology NAS, which is wired to the Droidbox using Gigabit wires and switch.

How can I solve this issue? I bought a Droidbox specifically because its claimed to have hardware decoding for HEVC H265.

Thanks in advance,

Jeroen
The Netherlands

We have tested today T8-S Plus on 1.0.7 Firmware with the file you mentioned - Archer S02E01 and it played well on DBMC & LibreELEC.
Here is the video for testing on DBMC
That one for testing on LibreELEC with the T8-S Plus FW 1.0.7

And here is the link for the sample file we used to test:
https://droidboxcloud.com/index.php/s/80LNaCwyQ8wptyx

As you can see we could not replicate an issue. Have you tried to factory reset your device in order to see if it's not the settings?
As well have you tried to use Kodi instead of DBMC in Android?

Reactions: David Savage

erdie

Dec 22, 2015
I have the T8 Mini connected to a NAS drive using just openelec and the files you mention are spot on. Although I dont know the answer to your problem Sorry.
Someone will be able to help you on here.
Mate, I had to reply to you just because of your Crass icon. I thought I was the only person in the world who still remembered Crass. I just listened to bloody revolutions a couple of days ago, it took me right back to my teen years. Have you ever listed to Jeffrey Lewis - 12 Crass songs?

Bollocks77

Aug 24, 2016
Hi erdie, great that you replied to me. Ye, I love Crass and always have done since my teens. I followed them all over the UK to various gigs including my home town of Middlesbrough where they played The Rock Garden supported by Poison Girls. Still even now cant get enough. I had the pleasure to visit Dial House an a few occasions when I was younger and actually stayed at the place. (mam and dad did not agree) where I met Penny Rimbaud, Gee Voucher, Eve Libertine and others. Phil Free I think. My wife hates them and cringes when I play Feeding of the 5000 in my car. Bloody Revolutions was fantastic - especially the fold out poster which was on our wall for years in the front room of my mams house. (wouldn't get away with that at home now)
Great to speak to someone who remembers the era and especially Crass.
Regards
Dave

jeroenj_1989

Oct 31, 2016
Sorry to interrupt your Crass conversation guys, but I have an update :)

I tried again the Archer S02E01 on LibreElec. The file I have does not give any audio. Video plays OK.
Then I tried your file (put it one level higher in the file tree as my file) and this actually works OK.
I have compared both files; they are binary exact copies. So why is there a different behavior...
MediaInfo screenshot attached.

What I did next:
Rebooted to Android. Tried to play my file with DBMC, audio and video were OK.
Tried your file, audio and video OK...

Next, I tried to play another file, this time an x265 file (Big bang theory, more on this later), this file did not run smoothly on Android.

What I did then:
Rebooted back to LibreElec.
Tried your file again, did not change file location in the mean time. Played audio and video OK.
Next I tried my file (the file which did not give audio before) and now it was actually giving correct audio and video.
Very strange this behaviour....

As a final test I tried the x265 file The.Big.Bang.Theory.S10E04.Web-DL.1080p.10bit.5.1.x265.HEVC-Qman[UTR].mkv
This also did not run smootly on video, mostly black screen with sometimes a part of an image.
Audio works OK though.

So, I have irregular behaviour on the H265 file, is there any way to resolve this?
And I have problems playing X265. But I am not sure whether the T8S Plus should be capable of this.

Thanks for taking my issues seriously by the way, this is really appreciated!

Attachments

• big bang x265.png
    big bang x265.png
    52.1 KB · Views: 143
  • archer compare.png
    archer compare.png
    58.9 KB · Views: 185

8bitDev

Jul 2, 2015
Sorry to interrupt your Crass conversation guys, but I have an update :)

I tried again the Archer S02E01 on LibreElec. The file I have does not give any audio. Video plays OK.
Then I tried your file (put it one level higher in the file tree as my file) and this actually works OK.
I have compared both files; they are binary exact copies. So why is there a different behavior...

What I did next:
Rebooted to Android. Tried to play my file with DBMC, audio and video were OK.
Tried your file, audio and video OK...

Next, I tried to play another file, this time an x265 file (Big bang theory, more on this later), this file did not run smoothly on Android.

What I did then:
Rebooted back to LibreElec.
Tried your file again, did not change file location in the mean time. Played audio and video OK.
Next I tried my file (the file which did not give audio before) and now it was actually giving correct audio and video.
Very strange this behaviour....

As a final test I tried the x265 file The.Big.Bang.Theory.S10E04.Web-DL.1080p.10bit.5.1.x265.HEVC-Qman[UTR].mkv
This also did not run smootly on video, mostly black screen with sometimes a part of an image.
Audio works OK though.

So, I have irregular behaviour on the H265 file, is there any way to resolve this?
And I have problems playing X265. But I am not sure whether the T8S Plus should be capable of this.

Thanks for taking my issues seriously by the way, this is really appreciated!

Can you please try to re download the file,it may be that file got corrupted in some way,or could you try to do playback from the USB flash drive or external hard drive and see if there are any difference?
On the android side you could also try to test playback in the MX player and see if it displays the same results.

Regards

jeroenj_1989

Oct 31, 2016
Tried re-downloading and still no luck with the files.
I tried it with MX Player on Android, same results :\

admin

Staff member
Jul 14, 2014
United Kingdom
droix.co.uk
I have tested The.Big.Bang.Theory.S10E04.Web-DL.1080p.10bit.5.1.x265.HEVC-Qman[UTR].mkv on my T8-S Plus and it crashed either. So I have reported this to our developers and they will looking into this issue. Will keep you updated.

admin

Staff member
Jul 14, 2014
United Kingdom
droix.co.uk
Guys, T8-S Plus comes with s812 chipset which does support H265 but does not support 10 BIT video. So this type of video is not supported
The.Big.Bang.Theory.S10E04.Web-DL.1080p.10bit.5.1.x265.HEVC-Qman[UTR].mkv

However our T8 Mini does support 10bit

Reactions: David Savage