Dave C

Staff member
Marketing
Sep 1, 2015
London
www.droix.co.uk
This firmware is for the H96 MAX X2 4/32Gb and 4/64Gb models only. Do not attempt to use it on any other device. They are not for ANY other model, even if it has a similar name, they will not work and could damage your machine. Do not flash these files if you do not know which device you have.

Firmware Reflash with PC and USB cable

You will need a Male to Male USB cable, something like https://www.amazon.co.uk/HAVIT-Cable-Type-Male-Black/dp/B00UF8SEA0/

Download the firmware image for the H96 MAX X2, it is the same firmware for both 4/32Gb and 4/64Gb models, from https://mega.nz/#!mHpGkapA!JTrM0yA0ILG0rRqcLSsg-L81pS-pvz3iUsgMYI173vQ

Download the firmware license from https://mega.nz/#!Sa4mSAjI!xcbycaybhT7f3-K5dGCGoOvEIBz0qs-BVRgdmycoUlE.

Extract the firmware image zip. There should be one .img file inside. You should not click on it to open or extract, we'll use it later. If you see an error message on your PC about the image being corrupt, please close the program, the file is needed for use on the DroidBOX, rather than the PC.

Download https://mega.nz/#!rP5WXYCA!HY89Hm2N1-hWnuQzZUOHY33XZUrWarjAWCQhP-c_8wE and open it. You will be asked if you want to install Amlogic's USB Burning tool - you do.

The first time you open it, if the menus are not in English, click the second menu and select English.

Open the firmware license "H96 MAX X2 License.zip" and copy the contents to the "license" folder where the Amlogic USB Burning Tool was installed to. This is usually "C:\Program Files (x86)\Amlogic\USB_Burning_Tool\license". Once extracted there should be twelve files inside the "license" folder.

Back on the Amlogic Burning Tool software. Click on the "File" menu and click "Import image". Navigate to your Downloads folder and select the firmware .IMG file from the USB folder.

You'll need to wait a moment whilst it analyses the file.

Now click the "Start" button.

Disconnect all cables and peripherals from your device. Connect the USB cable to the USB 2.0 socket (black one, not the blue one) on the side of the device. Then connect it to your PC and let Windows automatically install the drivers it needs.

Afterwards, the software will begin flashing the firmware. If it shows a red error message; remove the USB cable from the device, wait a few seconds, then reconnect it. You may need to do this a few times. If after say 4 times, there may be a more serious error with the device, please contact DroidBOX support.

Once the process is complete and reported as successful, you can click the "Stop" button, and disconnect the USB cable. Reconnect the HDMI and power cable. The first time you boot the device, it will take a while longer than usual while it is completing the first time setup, this is normal. Once you can see the launcher's homescreen, please leave the device alone for 10 minutes whilst it re-installs the applications.

Applications continue to install in the background and if interrupted will not resume the next time you boot up.

Cha_Lee_Boy

Jan 3, 2019
Could you explain which boxes to tick in the Amlogic USB program please. There are two that seem to write a new Mac address for the box and WiFi. Do I select those and use normal erase?

Dave C

Staff member
Marketing
Sep 1, 2015
London
www.droix.co.uk
Could you explain which boxes to tick in the Amlogic USB program please. There are two that seem to write a new Mac address for the box and WiFi. Do I select those and use normal erase?
You do not need to change any of the check boxes, leave them as they appear.

Cha_Lee_Boy

Jan 3, 2019
You do not need to change any of the check boxes, leave them as they appear.
Okay thanks. It's just that I watched a video of the process and the user checked the tickboxes that write the new Mac addresses and when I load the firmware these are unchecked. So I thought I must do the same.

Cha_Lee_Boy

Jan 3, 2019
Tried the procedure using a USB 3 male to male cable but in the USB 2 port on the box as you guide states. I got an error, numerous times. I didn't have a USB 2 male to male cable that your instructions stated but am awaiting delivery of one. I hope that will allow me to flash the new image. Amlogic USB Burning Tool is very frustrating to use.

berna81

Jan 3, 2019
Is possible this firmware for version 2/16 ? I need the firmware for h96 max x2 2/16.

Thanks

Dave C

Staff member
Marketing
Sep 1, 2015
London
www.droix.co.uk
Is possible this firmware for version 2/16 ? I need the firmware for h96 max x2 2/16.

Thanks
No, we do not sell a 2/16GB model of the H96 MAX X2. This firmware would very likely not be compatible so I would not suggest to flash it on your device.

argg

Jan 14, 2019
I followed the steps above and my box works fine again, thank you!
One minor issue though, the box is no longer rooted - is there a way to root it again? I really need it for running Samba for the home network

argg

Jan 14, 2019
problem solved :) after flashing firmare aml_s905x2_H96MaxX2_4g_mac_wifi_20181226 the box is rooted again

FullSoft

Dec 26, 2018
2 argg:

Where can I download this firmware (aml_s905x2_H96MaxX2_4g_mac_wifi_20181226)? Thanks in advance

tommpd

Dec 29, 2014
Hi, I was thinking about getting one of these and was wondering if this firmware would already be installed on this device

Nigelar

Feb 26, 2015
As DaveC says, this firmware is on the device. The link has been put up in case anyone needs to reinstall (reflash) it.