ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
We've got the new cables in, and results look positive.
If you have a DroidBOX T8-S or T8-S Plus with a hard drive installed, and your (internal) hard drive has been playing up, let us know (please include your order ID and whether the same address as was used for the device's delivery is still OK to use) VIA E-MAIL, SEE MY SIG FOR MORE INFO ON THE PROCESS.

If you've already reported the issue, but not heard from us in a couple of weeks, please send a reminder to [email protected] with your order ID - we've tried to make contact with everyone but realize that some may have been missed.

Fitting the new cable isn't a problem, if you've the screwdriver to remove the hard drive, its a case of taking the drive out, unplugging the old cable at both ends, then plugging in the new one, then screwing the drive back into place.

Last edited:

Natval

Mar 31, 2016
Please find order nr for drive disconnecting issue
Your Order #100010494

Regards
Nathan

bluebox212

Jun 22, 2017
whoshotprincipalhunt.blogspot.com
My Seagate 1tb ssd keeps bumping off. I have the t8 plus v2. I have formatted the Seagate using my laptop in exfat and formatted it using elec. Both times, when I booted up the droidbox the Seagate drive would briefly (like 1/10 sec) show then go away. Actually, I was on chat support last week for over 1.5hrs with some tech named Igor and they couldn't resolve the issue. How can I get some of the cables?

bluebox212

Jun 22, 2017
How do I get the new cable for my T8-S Plus V2? My SSD keeps unmounting and says that it has been removed. I have looked at the forums, blogs and youtube videos. I have formatted and reformatted my SSD numerous times and it continues to dismount. I have contacted the website and spoke with the text help. I am pretty sure that I may need to install the new cable. I sent [email protected] and email with my problem and copy of my purchase receipt and a screen shot of where I registered with DroidBOX. I asked them for a new cable and all I got was a bot reply telling my to try everything I had tried already.

bluebox212

Jun 22, 2017
Yep, I got a response today and they want me to go through the hoops up to and including doing a factory reset and reformatting all over. Seems like a waste of time to me considering I don't think it is a software issue. All they have to do is watch the video or view the pdf and they will see that Android 6 formats my SSD just fine but then the drive disconnects/dismounts immediately.

Attachments

• DroidBOXdriveerror.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 338

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
I don't work for DroidBOX any more, but I suspect the support staff are following procedures that need to be followed before trying a replacement cable. The replacement cable was an issue a long time ago, I don't think newer models/sales use the old style cable, but could be wrong. Did you mention the power supply to them, and check if you had any others (for temporary testing) in the house that matched the specs of the current one?

bluebox212

Jun 22, 2017
Hey, so is it possible that the power supply I have doesn't put out enough Amps in order to run the DroidBOX and the SSD. 20171024_132627.jpg I will have to check around here to see if I have one. I know it must put out at least the same but can it be 3A - 4A output?

bluebox212

Jun 22, 2017
Hey Chris, got a question. Is one setup advantageous over the other? That is, removable/potable vs internal storage. Since I am able to get the DroidBOX to recognize my SSD as a usb drive and not an internal drive...maybe I should just leave it as a portable drive. I would still close it up inside the DroidBOX thus making it not easily portable storage.

bluebox212

Jun 22, 2017
I went through the whole factory reset process this morning. To no avail the SSD still unmounts right after I get the message that it was a successful format for internal storage. So I am using it outside my box as usb storage at the moment. Still waiting on the email support...strange thing is I popped over to the online chat and was told to wait on the email help. I am still waiting for a reply. And I wonder when they will use the QUICKSUPPORT feature where they can remote my system and experience what I am experiencing in real time?

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
Hi, sorry for the delay, I'm not around as much these days.
If you still haven't received an email reply (typed by a human, not the auto-response) from last weekend, send them a chase up. Mention the forum threads ( https://droidboxforums.com/threads/hard-drive-unmounting-solution.5774 for example), explain what has been tried, what happened.
If the other power supply has the same sized plug, the polarity is definitely the same, then yes, totally fine to go UP in terms of the current capabilities for a replacement PSU. 5V is important, using a 12V supply would likely fry the box, but if the current capability is higher, this won't be a problem, the device will only consume the current it needs, don't worry.
They may well use QuickSupport to check over something, but this would need to be done via the text chat/a telephone call (they need the app open, to know your "YourID" and for you to be able to click a button to accept the connection).