sheepy98

Jan 7, 2022
Hi there , Have just purchased the Anbernic RG552 with the 64gb sd card from Anbernic . Am currently using Android setup with the secondary sd card in place . How do I start a game ? Do I start through Retroarch (in which case I cannot seem to load or download a core) or do I use the Emulator apps on the start screen ? Have read instructions provided but I am unable to follow them . Pleas keep answers to a relatively basic level as I am new to all this . Cheers .

Jazbur

Jan 1, 2020
Hi, recently got an RG552 myself and relatively a newbie myself. To run a game in android, I select the emulator app I want to use (for eg if I want to play Metroid Fusion on GBA, I open GBA.emu app from the main screen).

The first time you run an emulator you need to tell it where your games are stored. Once the app is open, go to ”load game”, then click the grey bar tile at the very top of the screen so you select the file path to your sd card to tell the emulator where your ROMs are stored. It would go something like this:

1. Open app then ”load game”
  2. Click grey bar at top tuntil it changes blue and says File Location
  3. Select SD Card
  4. Choose whichever folder your roms are stored eg in Metroid Fusion GBA case, I would choose GBA folder
  5. Then click the game you wanna play.
  6. Enjoy it!
You only need to do this once the first time, just to tell the emulator the File path to find your games. As far as I know every emulator works the same way.,

As for RetroArch, you need to download Cores for whichever system you want to use. Not used it myself, but you need to be connected to Wifi to do this as far as I know.

These things can get complicated for beginners but you’ll pick things up really quickly, hope that helps

cheers.

Reactions: sheepy98

sheepy98

Jan 7, 2022
Hi, recently got an RG552 myself and relatively a newbie myself. To run a game in android, I select the emulator app I want to use (for eg if I want to play Metroid Fusion on GBA, I open GBA.emu app from the main screen).

The first time you run an emulator you need to tell it where your games are stored. Once the app is open, go to ”load game”, then click the grey bar tile at the very top of the screen so you select the file path to your sd card to tell the emulator where your ROMs are stored. It would go something like this:

1. Open app then ”load game”
  2. Click grey bar at top tuntil it changes blue and says File Location
  3. Select SD Card
  4. Choose whichever folder your roms are stored eg in Metroid Fusion GBA case, I would choose GBA folder
  5. Then click the game you wanna play.
  6. Enjoy it!
You only need to do this once the first time, just to tell the emulator the File path to find your games. As far as I know every emulator works the same way.,

As for RetroArch, you need to download Cores for whichever system you want to use. Not used it myself, but you need to be connected to Wifi to do this as far as I know.

These things can get complicated for beginners but you’ll pick things up really quickly, hope that helps

cheers.

Hi Jazbur ,

Thanks for reply , have just tried your method and success ! I have tried a few GBA and Megadrive games and they work perfectly . I really appreciate the detailed method you laid out , thats the only way I would have been able to get this working . I want to get a bit more proficient at retro gaming so I'll be checking this forum regularly .

Cheers

Reactions: Jazbur

Jazbur

Jan 1, 2020
Great, glad you got it working.

Theres a few excellent websites that I use for info:

If your looking for ROMs etc reddit has a great thread (megarom thread) with links (don’t think I can post here though). The reddit forums are a LOT more active than most retro forums and there’s some really helpful folk on there too.

cheers.

sheepy98

Jan 7, 2022
Great, glad you got it working.

Theres a few excellent websites that I use for info:

If your looking for ROMs etc reddit has a great thread (megarom thread) with links (don’t think I can post here though). The reddit forums are a LOT more active than most retro forums and there’s some really helpful folk on there too.

cheers.

Hi Jazbur ,

Thanks for all the info , this has saved me a lot of digging around to find the right resources . Good luck for 2022 and I'll probably see you around in the forums . Cheers .

Reactions: Jazbur

Jazbur

Jan 1, 2020
Hi Jazbur ,

Thanks for all the info , this has saved me a lot of digging around to find the right resources . Good luck for 2022 and I'll probably see you around in the forums . Cheers .
Thanks mate, all the best to you too. Enjoy your RG552!