dapex

Aug 10, 2014
I am running an IMX6 with XBMC 12.2 and getting loads of failed script messages etc.. I see people have upgraded to newer versions of XBMC, is there anyway to do this without losing all my settings... I now use Aeon Nox skin and it took me AGES to configure it with smart playlists etc..

I dont want to upgrade or do anythign that will then cause me to be back at the start and having to re-configure everything

Is there an easy way to upgrade or re-install XBMC without losing all my config data?

Cheers

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
Frodo is the last officially supported build of XBMC for your iMX6. However... some people have succeeded with Gotham by turning off hardware acceleration for video playback. In terms of keeping your configuration, doing so between different builds of XBMC can be delicate.
I'd recommend installing SPMC from the Play Store for now. You can have it installed at the same time as XBMC (they're based on the same code still though). If you're not already comfortable doing so, get used to navigating around Android's filesystem, and copy and pasting files. I prefer ES File Explorer for this sort of task, but whichever you're used to is normally fine. Head to the sdcard/Android/data location (see http://kodi.wiki/view/Userdata#Android_location ) and find your current XBMC's data folder. Once SPMC is installed, you can try copying add-ons and skin XML files from XBMC to SPMC, but be prepared to wipe them again if the change from Frodo to Gotham means SPMC expects data to be presented in a different way.
There is also an add-on for XBMC designed to allow you to export/import your data, let me check if it is still there in Gotham by default. Hmmm, can't find it. I'm sure we've written about it on the forum somewhere, hang on... It may have been on the old forum, or I may be using the wrong search terms.

Do any forum members with a better memory than me recall a thread on exporting set up from one XBMC to another? I think we ended up suggesting manually copying files, using something like Titanium Backup or the XBMC Program add-on that I now can't find?