Jon529320

Jan 19, 2015
Hi
I am very new to the Droidbox and the mini keyboard I bought with it.
When I try to type in an @ symbol all I get is ".
I have tried using the shift key at the same time but it doesn't make any difference.
I am sure it is something I have either done or not done so any advice would be welcome.
Also when I first used the Droidbox the location said Shanghai so I click to change it but now it just shows Chinese characters.
Again any help much appreciated.
John

David Savage

Aug 3, 2014
Somewhere over the rainbow
Hi, I have the VIP remote and that's colour coded, if I want to change to a symbol I push the coloured key (ALT) witch it represents. Not sure on this one but have a look.
As for location mine the same(Shanghai), can't you just go back in and change it back.

Reactions: Jon529320

angela

Mar 3, 2015
If you click symbol on search screen it will bring them up,If on internet press ?123 to get symbols up on screen.Cant find out how to do it on remote,hope this helps

Last edited:

Nigelar

Feb 26, 2015
Jon, can you try something. Press the " key. Tell me what you see.
I will be interested if it gives you a @ character.
If so I will attempt an explanation.

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
It sounds as thought the @ and " symbols are swapped over. Press the Shift and Apostrophe keys on your i8 and you'd expect a @ sign. I think a " will appear.
You can either remember to shift+2 if you want an @ sign, and shift+' if you want quotation marks, or you could tweak the keyboard settings with something like Multilanguage Keymap Redefiner - https://play.google.com/store/apps/...eyboard.multilanguagekeymapredefiner&hl=en_GB or similar.

Nigelar

Feb 26, 2015
Thats the theory i was working on ss, subject to his confirmation. I think it is something to do with how android deals with certain us/uk keyboard characters and symbols (not very well). I have this issue with a different tv box and wireless keyboard i have. I have to google the keyboard mapping for the affected characters (symbols like £ sign, &, etc). The problem does not occur in the air mouse though.

Jon529320

Jan 19, 2015
Hi thanks to everyone. Yes - Silent Screaming has hit the nail on the head - the answer is that the shift+2 produces the @ symbol.
It looks as though the keyboard has been incorrectly set up for the UK. One of the major problems I find is that there are no manuals everything seems to be on video - which is great and extemely useful but they do not always cover the point one is interested in. I have sent a query to Riitek to see if they have a more comprehensive manual. I am also on the look out for a guide to the whole technology so as to get a grip with it. I find I do not know the basics and it was only today I began to apreciate XMBC. Thanks again everyone - if you know where I can read up on the technology please drop a line here and i will follow it up.

Jon529320

Jan 19, 2015
Hi everyone
Thought I'd come back with an update after the great help I received.
Well earlier this week I bought a K400 Logitech remote keyboard. The Ri8 mini keyboard was just too small for my fat stubby fingers.
The K400 worked straight out of the box and I have found the pad to be great with better sensitivity.
Cheers
John

Reactions: David Savage

PC49

Sep 15, 2015
Hi
I have tried using the shift key at the same time but it doesn't make any difference.
I am sure it is something I have either done or not done so any advice would be welcome.
Also when I first used the Droidbox the location said Shanghai so I click to change it but now it just shows Chinese characters.
John
Hi John I got my droidbox today, and had the same problem. I found the @ as where the " should have been, which is upper case on the number 2 key

Jon529320

Jan 19, 2015
Hi PC49 please see my previous post dated "may 29, 2015 where you will see I abandoned the mini keyboard and bought a Logitech K400 which works fine used in combination with the remote supplied with the Droidbox. My son now has the Ri8 which he hopes to use for his setup.
Good luck with your Droidbox the forum here is great with help and offers first class advice.
John

Geemeister

Sep 30, 2015
Wirral
Hi
John
Hi John, in Openlec go into System settings followed by Appearence, then International. Set the Region to UK(12 or 24hrs), Keyboard to English QWERTY and Timezone to Britain. That should change the key settings. In the android settings you need to go to Mbox settings. sellect the 'Other' tab then More Settings. Go down the menu to Language Input and change all the keyboard settings (Default, Android keyboard and, further down Physical keyboard - mini keyboard, to UK. It worked for me, unless i've changed something else and forgotten about it. Good Luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: David Savage