Sham

Apr 4, 2016
Hi, please can I request some help, iMXQPro Mini, Android 7, Kodi 17.5.

1. Direct to SDcard Download
Setup to download direct to SDcard, allows me to select the SDcard and it would appear that it has downloaded, however once complete nothing is there ?.

I did some Googling and discovered that there are write permission issues in downloading and writing direct to external SDcard.

2. SDcard Formatted to act as internal storage:
However, when I search for this additional space via ES File Explorer or via Droidbox settings, I am not able to find it ?, I was hoping to create a folder and download via this way.

Any help would be appreciated, no rush for a response I am tinkering, testing and learning, thanks in advance to all for any input. Regards

Last edited:

8bitDev

Jul 2, 2015
Hi, please can I request some help, iMXQPro Mini, Android 7, Kodi 17.5.

1. Direct to SDcard Download
Setup to download direct to SDcard, allows me to select the SDcard and it would appear that it has downloaded, however once complete nothing is there ?.

I did some Googling and discovered that there are write permission issues in downloading and writing direct to external SDcard.

2. SDcard Formatted to act as internal storage:
However, when I search for this additional space via ES File Explorer or via Droidbox settings, I am not able to find it ?, I was hoping to create a folder and download via this way.

Any help would be appreciated, no rush for a response I am tinkering, testing and learning, thanks in advance to all for any input. Regards
Hi

Can you try to download and manage files via ES file explorer and similar software,and try to download files via web browser.On that way you can see if everything is fine and SD card is readable.Afterwards you can continue to check with Kodi and add ons that you are using if their download option is working correctly.

Regards

Sham

Apr 4, 2016
Hi 8bitDev:

Thanks for the reply and advise, I am using a Kingston SDCard, I should have perhaps asked compatibility first !, However I shall run a test as per you instructions in the next couple of days and report back. Appreciate the response.

Regards

Sham

Apr 4, 2016
Hi, apologies for the delay in response, I tested as instructed and no joy, no issues with the SD Card, instead it appears to be Kodi preventing the download, thanks for the help.

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
@Sham
If an SD card is formatted as internal storage, it was my understanding (could be wrong), that this replaces the actual internal storage that was used originally. As an example, if you had a 32Gb device (original internal storage), installed a 256Gb SSD drive (on a device with a hard drive bay), then formatted this SSD as internal storage, the device would then have a 256Gb (approx) internal storage, rather than 288Gb.

With regard to writing to the SD card when it is formatted as normal, if https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=nextapp.sdfix doesn't help, you could try the Samba approach we've trialled here in the forum previously. Start from https://droidbox.co.uk/how-to/network-sharing-local-storage-for-kodi-and-dbmc/ and let us know if you hit a snag. The guide was written before the new skin used in Kodi 17, but you should find functions remain the same.

Sham

Apr 4, 2016
Hi ChrisM:

Thanks for the information, I will give it a try in a couple of days, tbh, the external download setup was just a personal setup option for me, on the odd occasion to download and watch to avoid buffering, disconnections whilst viewing and avoid read and write to the internal storage.

I do thank you for your time, hope you had a great Christmas and I wish you a Happy New Year

Regards

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
If downloading to the card directly doesn't become feasible with steps above, another route would be to download to internal storage, then (if required) use something like ES File Explorer or File Manager HD to move the files to the SD card.