Status
Not open for further replies.

Terryalexa77

Nov 15, 2015
ENGLAND
I can't install any apps within the Google Play store it says, 'insufficient storage available'.

I use 'App cache cleaner', and 'SD Maid' to clean the system cache and other junk files but it makes no difference.

I've cleared cache of Google Play Store and Google Play services. The size of the data is only small at 22mb.

I've tried uninstalling a large app of size 150mb but just the same.

I've looked for large files within ESfileExplorer and Storage and can't see unwanted files to delete when analysing the internal storage. Also the logcat file is good to delete and make room but it's only a small file not 800mb on mine after analysing the storage.

I have 10gb spare on internal storage.
52gb spare on sd card.
827gb spare on my hard drive.

I've moved most of my moveable apps over to the SD card using 'App2sd link (root)' to use symbolic links. This has increased the available storage in system so Android should see plenty of space in internal storage.

Has anyone got a useful technique for dealing with this common problem?

Last edited:

8bitDev

Jul 2, 2015
I can't install any apps within the Google Play store it says, 'insufficient storage available'.

I use 'App cache cleaner', and 'SD Maid' to clean the system cache and other junk files but it makes no difference.

I've cleared cache of Google Play Store and Google Play services. The size of the data is only small at 22mb.

I've tried uninstalling a large app of size 150mb but just the same.

I've looked for large files within ESfileExplorer and Storage and can't see unwanted files to delete when analysing the internal storage. Also the logcat file is good to delete and make room but it's only a small file not 800mb on mine after analysing the storage.

I have 10gb spare on internal storage.
25gb spare on sd card.
872gb spare on my hard drive.

I've moved most of my moveable apps over to the SD card using 'App2sd link (root)' to use symbolic links. This has increased the available storage in system so Android should see plenty of space in internal storage.

Has anyone got a useful technique for dealing with this common problem?

Shane
Hi

Please make sure to clear data on google play and its services.

That should solve the problem if you have enough free space.

Also please keep in mind that internal storage is the one thats important.

Regards

Reactions: David Savage

Terryalexa77

Nov 15, 2015
ENGLAND
I've cleared data on all the Google Play apps including:

Google Play Store
Google Play services
Google Play music
Google Play movies
Google Play services framework
Google App

Basically resetting it to first boot state.

I restart my Droidbox, try to install or update an app in Google Play and it just says 'insufficient storage available'.

I go into SD Maid to clear all cache and junk, go back to google play, it just says same message of insufficient storage.

I can't believe Google hasn't sorted out this problem, I've bought an app but can't install it.

8bitDev

Jul 2, 2015
I've cleared data on all the Google Play apps including:

Google Play Store
Google Play services
Google Play music
Google Play movies
Google Play services framework
Google App

Basically resetting it to first boot state.

I restart my Droidbox, try to install or update an app in Google Play and it just says 'insufficient storage available'.

I go into SD Maid to clear all cache and junk, go back to google play, it just says same message of insufficient storage.

I can't believe Google hasn't sorted out this problem, I've bought an app but can't install it.
Sometimes google account can become corrupted,in that case please try to forget account and log in again,if that doesnt work you can either use third party app stores or do factory reset.

In order to do factory reset on your box from android please follow next:

go to settings>other>more settings>backup and reset>factory reset and confirm
OR
go to settings>backup and reset>factory reset and confirm

Regards

Terryalexa77

Nov 15, 2015
ENGLAND
Yes I still get the error when installing apps from PC or when it updates an app.

I've had to do a factory reset because I couldn't find anything else to delete after emptying the cache and data folders.

There is a good app that helps with this problem called Apps2SD link root. Which not only links and moves apps over to SD but also has several other useful tools.

You can:
-Clear all application caches
-Multi select apps and clear data and/or cache (useful for clearing Play store and it's services).
-Clear orphan data and lib files
-Clear all dalvik cache files (space freed and files rebuilt at reboot).
-Link all dalvik cache files to SD (several hundred mb freed).

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

shah nissar

Android Tv Expert
Mar 30, 2015
Hello Terry... This is a very rare situation where after clearing the data and even factory resetting you are still getting the error.
Please try to install App cache Cleaner- 1 Tap clean it is only a few mb app.
If it installs you can 1 tap and clean all your box cache.
After that you can again try installing apps and see how that works.
Also if you are using a T8-S please update your box through OTA updater app:
https://droidbox.co.uk/blog/t8t8-s-ota-update-12-11-2015/

Qaisir

Nov 10, 2015
The error often pops up if you have moved large amounts of media from the Android device's physical storage to a microSD card, and is caused by the cache not being properly erased.
Here are some steps that you need to perform to resolve the issue:

1. The first thing you are going to need to do is download an app that is about 2MB in size – but can take up more space, depending on your device. So if you are having problems installing apps you're going to need to delete something off your device's internal storage (not the microSD card), other apps or media such as videos or photos are perfect – even if you have tons of space available.

2. Now that you have freed up some space, you need to go to the Google Play Store, search and download the free app called App Cache Cleaner

3. All you need to do now is open the app and let it scan your Android device for your app's stored cache. Once that is done you can either clear the caches individually by clicking on the rubbish bin icon next to each, or delete all of the app's caches by selected the Clear button at the bottom of the screen.

4. Once you have done this – and providing you actually have space on your Android device - you simply need to download your desired app or update and install it.
You will then have fixed Android "insufficient storage available" error message.

Hope that helps...

Terryalexa77

Nov 15, 2015
ENGLAND
A good way to save storage space is to link the external data folder of Kodi.

If you link only the external data folder which contains all the Kodi addons data then you save around 1.4gb. The rest of the app stays on the Droidbox and is only small at around 60 mb.

The best app I use for this is Apps2SD *ROOT* and you choose to link only the external data folder.

It's important to remember that you have to open the Kodi app first for the external data folder to be created. Then use a linking app to link the folder to the sd BEFORE you download the wizard. Then go into Kodi and download any wizard and it will be installed in the folder on the sd.

Don't try linking after the wizard has installed because it will crash due to the many thousands of files.

Terryalexa77

Nov 15, 2015
ENGLAND
To link apps over to SD you'll need to create a second partition on sd.

Just use the partition tool built into 'Apps2SD' which handles Linux partitions well or 'Aparted' app and create a small first partition and larger second partition. The second partition is where all the apps get linked to and is also a buffer when linking so make it big.

My first partition is 512mb
And second partition 59gb
Format them both to Ext4 or any problems try Ext2.

Choose create and it will need to reboot.

With partitions and formatting done the linking app will mount the second partition and you can start linking apps.

Reactions: ChrisM

thegazsheard

Dec 7, 2015
Sorry to revive a old thread but any help would be appreciated... In the settings and storage of the Android side (the menu with the cogs) it shows 7.20gb storage free, in ES it shows 5.82gb free.

When I tried to install the droidbox control centre I got the not enough storage error, was informed there is an update to my box soon and it should fix this. I decided to start a fresh build of Kodi not the dbmc or Openelec version so I cleared data, and uninstalled it.

I have tried reinstalling it from Google play store and get the same message... Even with the apk from kodi's site. I followed the instructions for Terry to clear Google's services cache and data, installed the app cache 1tap remover as recommended and it still won't install.

Strangely I thought it might be do to the apk size so tried a smaller apk file, uktvnow, still got the not enough storage error. Yet I tried a large file, fallout shelter, this installed and ran no problem.

Uninstalled it, cleared all caches and data etc. Still get error messages saying storage low on various installs etc...

Like I say I have just over 7gb available, is my only option a factory reset?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Terryalexa77

Nov 15, 2015
ENGLAND
To solve this I ended up doing a factory reset. Then limiting the amount of apps I installed from play store.
I also linked Kodi, DBMC and large games to the SD Card to make more space available.
It's a cache problem which may have been fixed in later android versions as I don't get it in Marshmallow.
It explains how to link apps over to the sd including how to create a second partition within this thread.

B96Mike

Jul 6, 2016
how come I cant move some of the apps to external sd card like I can on my cell phone?

Status
Not open for further replies.