francis ruiz

Mar 1, 2015
Hi guys.
Been upgraded to 70mbps from 50mbps broadband on virgin media. I tested the speed on the app on my T8( hard wired) Sure enough i got the 70mbps so was chuffed. Then the next day it dropped to 39mbps. I phoned up n the guy at virgin boosted it n went back to 70mbps for rest of the day. The next day it dropped back down to 39, so i phoned again and it was diff guy and he first said oh thats strange and did i get the 70 before. I said yes, then he said it must av been a false reading at 70.
He said my type o android box must only let it go to 39. Done the same app test on my iphone n its the same 39mbps wifi.
I have tried diff apps for testing and they all come out roughly 38-39
Think that guys talkin shite? should i be getting near the 70 hard wired.

Nigelar

Feb 26, 2015
To be honest, you only need around 8mb for hd movies. 39mb is more bandwidth than you can shake a stick at. If you want to test your virgin connection i would be more inclined to test from a wired pc.

For the record i get between 35-40 on my t8 on a wired connection. Given my cable connection is 150mb it is probably capped by the t8s technology, but as i say it is more than enough.

Last edited:

francis ruiz

Mar 1, 2015
To be honest, you only need around 8mb for hd movies. 39mb is more bandwidth than you can shake a stick at. If you want to test your virgin connection i would be more inclined to test from a wired pc.

For the record i get between 35-40 on my t8 on a wired connection. Given my cable connection is 150mb it is probably capped by the t8s technology, but as i say it is more than enough.

Cheers nigelr
Will see if my old laptop still works and test it on that. I was just wondering why it jumped from the 70 to the 39. Thought maybe the router was goosed.
Cheers