Kristo32

Aug 7, 2016
hi all,

I read a post in this forum regarding ipvanish killing speed once online? Has this changed at all?
Sometimes when add ons are busy in evenings or weekends etc they already slow and buffer, does the vpn make this really bad?

I intend to use the installed app on the dbox but can I also use on Mac for torrents etc??

Thanks

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
Will a VPN connection always give you (now labelled "A"!) the same bandwidth as with none, especially when international?

No, as the whole lot of data is going via servers (let's say "B")in another country, too many hops where servers may be running at capacity mean the best to hope for is enough to keep the current video stream playing steadily (assuming the other server ("C") actually hosting the media file/stream is also running with bandwidth and resources to spare). If that server is having problems, then the VPN won't often improve things, unless the issue is actually within the hops between you and a direct connection to the media (A to C). If B to C has better routing, then yes it would help.

Different servers will give differing speeds. If one city's servers are all slow, hop to another in the same country (where available). I'm in a beta testing group and the new Android app is looking impressive, if all features survive the testing process.

Mac, yes they've an OSX app, but can't comment on using it as no hardware, sorry.

Laurence Dagley

Feb 22, 2017
My speed test without ipvanish 170mbs with ipvanish between 6mbs and 20 at best depending what country I chose is this right as if it is I can't see the point I may be missing something but can't justify paying for a service that slows my speed by that much ?

Nigelar

Feb 26, 2015
Well a speed of between 6mbps and 20mbps is going to be OK for most streaming (apart from 4K and there isn't much of that about) even if the throttling seems a little excessive.

Fritz-69

May 28, 2016
I'm glad you've brought this up as i have just switched from IP Vanish for that very reason.

No matter what server or device (android/windows/phone) i'm running it from was achieving a speed between 5-12 mb/s max. Unconnected i'm getting over 200 mb/s connection.

I've posted this in this forum, contacted IP Vanish for help (useless support from them as they never read the emails properly and send you a useless answer.

I understand what is said about servers and back and forth bandwidth, but it got to the point where i couldn't use the service for streaming.

As i said, I've cut loose from them (wasted half a year subscription) and now moved to Nord VPN. Much faster connections, average is about 25 mb/s sometimes much higher.

They offer a 7 day free trial now, you don't have to pay in advance for the trial.

Try them out. All the security features of IP Vanish without the low bandwidth.

https://nordvpn.com/

Gonzo

Dec 18, 2015
Was just going to sign up to ipvanish but may wait now then. Have they got back in touch with you regarding the speeds

Gonzo

Dec 18, 2015
Just checked out nord and must say if it's as good as it sounds then it looks good

Fritz-69

May 28, 2016
As I said above, they sent me a email as if I'm a child if 4. Patronising.

That's why I ditched them. I've never had good connection speeds with them (others say different).

I'm now with Nord VPN.

Sent From Experia X Mobile Phone

Fritz-69

May 28, 2016
Try out the 7 day free trial to see if you like it.

Sent From Experia X Mobile Phone

Gonzo

Dec 18, 2015
Fritz,

Just wondering if nordvpn will work on a firestick as I know ipvanish does.

Just before I go with nord as they are currently offering 2 year package for $79 which is pretty good and allows 6 connections.

Thanks

Gonzo