Kevan

Mar 2, 2017
Hi - I am concerned IPvanish isn't staying connected while I am using my Droidbox.

If I go into the IPvanish app it connects OK but if I then go back out to the Droidbox home screen and back into the IPvanish app again it appears to reconnect, implying that it has disconnected as soon as I have come out of the IPvanish app. I am hoping it is in fact staying connected and only appearing to reconnect because I have gone back into the app, like a fresh start, as it were :)

How can I tell if it is still connected? There is no key symbol at the top of the screen, as per IPvanish info.

Any help putting my mind at rest appreciated - Thanks

StringyMCFC

Apr 23, 2016
If you use Areswizard (or Wookie, I think) in Kodi they both have speedtest sections. Whilst the info on speed is interesting, it will also tell you your external ip address and also your provider. If the VPN is working as it should it should be a different ip address to your normal one and the provider will be listed as "hosting services" or similar. If the VPN isn't connected your normal ip address and actual isp will be listed.

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
Can you press the home button (or if you have a Windows style keyboard, you can hold down ALT and tap TAB to swap tasks), instead of the Return button, when you have made the connection in IPVanish. Another quick test is visiting https://www.whatismyip.com/ in the browser app on your DroidBOX device. Visit it once before the VPN connection is made, then after IPVanish is connected, return to the browser and refresh the page. The IP address (and country unless you select UK in IPVanish) should change.

Kevan

Mar 2, 2017
Can you press the home button (or if you have a Windows style keyboard, you can hold down ALT and tap TAB to swap tasks), instead of the Return button, when you have made the connection in IPVanish. Another quick test is visiting https://www.whatismyip.com/ in the browser app on your DroidBOX device. Visit it once before the VPN connection is made, then after IPVanish is connected, return to the browser and refresh the page. The IP address (and country unless you select UK in IPVanish) should change.

I was pressing the 'Home' button to go back to that screen & then going back into IPvanish using my shortcut - it would then appear to connect to their servers again. I'm just not sure if it ever actually disconnects or if I am just opening a second connection.
Hi - I am concerned IPvanish isn't staying connected while I am using my Droidbox.

If I go into the IPvanish app it connects OK but if I then go back out to the Droidbox home screen and back into the IPvanish app again it appears to reconnect, implying that it has disconnected as soon as I have come out of the IPvanish app. I am hoping it is in fact staying connected and only appearing to reconnect because I have gone back into the app, like a fresh start, as it were :)

How can I tell if it is still connected? There is no key symbol at the top of the screen, as per IPvanish info.

Kevan

Mar 2, 2017

I was pressing the 'Home' button to go back to that screen & then going back into IPvanish using my shortcut - it would then appear to connect to their servers again. I'm just not sure if it ever actually disconnects or if I am just opening a second connection.

Kevan

Mar 2, 2017
If you use Areswizard (or Wookie, I think) in Kodi they both have speedtest sections. Whilst the info on speed is interesting, it will also tell you your external ip address and also your provider. If the VPN is working as it should it should be a different ip address to your normal one and the provider will be listed as "hosting services" or similar. If the VPN isn't connected your normal ip address and actual isp will be listed.

Well... I tried the Ares speed test, once with IPvanish connected and once without - it appears IPvanish does disconnect as the name of my ISP and the same server IP were showing both times.

Looks like I'll have to contact IPvanish support as it should stay running in the background surely!?

Thanks for the advice - it is appreciated.

StringyMCFC

Apr 23, 2016
Certainly sounds like an email to ipvanish is required. They have strong links to Droidbox so would hope they can help. If not, I use Private Internet Access and they are absolutely superb. Cannot fault them at all. Hope you get sorted.

Fritz-69

May 28, 2016
Try Nord VPN. They have good speeds and offer a 7 day free trial.

Sent From Experia X Mobile Phone

Roxbury

Mar 11, 2017

Please tell me if you resolved this issue and if so how. I purchased IPVanish yesterday and I am having the same issue. It does not keep running when you exit to the home screen. I contacted support but I did not get a satisfactory answer from them. Thanks for any info.

Kevan

Mar 2, 2017
Hi - yes, I did resolve the issue: If you use the back/return button after connecting to IPvanish, rather than the home button on your remote it will stay connected. I would also update the IPvanish app to make sure you are using the latest version.

Hope this helps

Cobber

Mar 12, 2017
I had a similar problem with IP vanish constantly reconnecting , therefore not actually connecting at all even though I thought it must be connected. Turns out that the IPvanish app pre installed on my brand new imxq v2 box is not up to date and does not work as it should. Updated it, problem solved, connects and stays connected!