TheShowMustGoOn

May 6, 2021
Hi all,

I couldn't find the right place to put this thread, so feel free to move it if needed. I purchased this Driobox about 6 years ago, and it worked perfect. I ended up moving home, and it went into storage.

I have just started it , it updated all the apps and then said the current version of Kodi isn't supported. I have tried the online updater and just get "Check Failed! Check Your OTA servier agent."

The current system settings are:

Model No: hd18q
Android Version: 4.4.2
Build Number: KOT49H.20160126 test-keys
Kernel Version: 3.10.33

If I try to use anything on Kodi it just says OTA error check logs. I have no idea where the logs are.

Is there a manual firmware update or custom update I can install for this?

Thanks

BenDroiX

Staff member
Jun 19, 2019
I'm not quite sure what specific box you're using, but that it's running Android 4 means it's a pretty old one.

The vast majority of android boxes, your one included, don't receive cross-generation Android updates. In fact, many mobile phones don't either (at most maybe a phone released at the end of a end of a generation might receive one).

Newer versions of Kodi don't support Android 4, so your only option here is to either:
A) Buy a new device with a newer version of Android (most boxes nowadays run Android 8-10)
B) Run an older version of Kodi (like 16.1 - Kodi 16.1 (arm-v7a) (Android 4.2+) APK Download by Kodi Foundation - APKMirror - https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/xbmc-foundation/kodi/kodi-16-1-release/kodi-16-1-android-apk-download/)

TheShowMustGoOn

May 6, 2021
I'm not quite sure what specific box you're using, but that it's running Android 4 means it's a pretty old one.

The vast majority of android boxes, your one included, don't receive cross-generation Android updates. In fact, many mobile phones don't either (at most maybe a phone released at the end of a end of a generation might receive one).

Newer versions of Kodi don't support Android 4, so your only option here is to either:
A) Buy a new device with a newer version of Android (most boxes nowadays run Android 8-10)
B) Run an older version of Kodi (like 16.1 - Kodi 16.1 (arm-v7a) (Android 4.2+) APK Download by Kodi Foundation - APKMirror - https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/xbmc-foundation/kodi/kodi-16-1-release/kodi-16-1-android-apk-download/)
Thanks for this! I will give the older version a go , can you advise the best way to install it?

Thanks again.

BenDroiX

Staff member
Jun 19, 2019
Thanks for this! I will give the older version a go , can you advise the best way to install it?

Thanks again.
The general process for app installation is to download the .apk file (either directly to your device, or on a USB which you connect to the device), then either:
- Run the .apk through an installer app (some boxes come with something called "AppInstaller" that streamlines this
or
- Use a file explorer application to locate and run the .apk directly.

make sure to also uninstall the existing Kodi installation beforehand.

TheShowMustGoOn

May 6, 2021
The general process for app installation is to download the .apk file (either directly to your device, or on a USB which you connect to the device), then either:
- Run the .apk through an installer app (some boxes come with something called "AppInstaller" that streamlines this
or

Thanks, I downloaded it to USB but then couldn't see a file browser. I will uninstall Kodi first and try during lunch. Thanks

TheShowMustGoOn

May 6, 2021
or

I have just done this whilst taking a quick coffee break - managed to do it via the AppInstaller. Kodi 16 is now installed.

Thank you very much for this, it is now resolved.

I will see if i can get SALTS and other repo's working with this version, and if not, throw it in the bin and buy a new one!

Reactions: BenDroiX