CameronBriggs

Feb 16, 2017
Hi all, new to the forum and was hoping someone would be able to put me out of my misery! I have an Amazon Firestick and Kodi 16.1 Jarvis has been working fine since installing it. No fancy builds, just the usual add-ons.

I tried to install Kodi 17 Krypton - after opening this, it says 'Preparing for first run' .. when the loading bar is finished, I get a slight flash on the screen saying 'Starting Kodi' and that's the point it crashes and goes back to the home screen. Here's what i've tried so far.

- Forcing stop, clearing cache, launching application.
- Forcing stop, clearing cache, clearing data, launching application.
- Forcing stop, clearing cache, uninstalling, reinstalling, clearing cache, launching application.
- Factory reset on the firestick, installing from scratch, launching application.

Nothing is working - i've simply got no idea on what's stopping it from running. I'm downloading from the designated ARM on the kodi.tv/download website. I've even tried one of the most recent 'Nightly' installs, still without any luck.

If I then go back to install Jarvis 16.1, it works absolutely fine and I can continue with what I was doing before. Please say someone can help!

Thanks in advance :)

tpepa

Feb 16, 2017
Have you tried purge the packages ? Another thought but sounds like you've done almost everything that's going to rectify the problem I'd go back to 16.1 if I was you how many Meg are you using up normally 700 Meg works fine I found once you starting adding to much data to many addons it causes problems on the Firestick go to 16.1 if I where you ,it will work fine unless someone else has any ideas hope you get some more answers seems to me though you tried everything I installed 17.0 on a Firestick the other day with the paradox build on it and it worked absolutely fine good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

CameronBriggs

Feb 16, 2017
I haven't but i've also been checking the memory and even with after Kodi installed (around 132mb), it's still only using around 10% of the space on the stick. Even when uninstalling 16.1/factory reset, and simply trying to install Kodi without any addons, it just crashes every time. So strange. And i'm exactly the same as you, I only found out Krypton was live when I set up a firestick for a family member with no problems at all.

Thanks for your help either way - let's see what others have to say!

Cheers

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
Couple of old references to this sort of behaviour on a firestick mentioned:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Addons4Kod...ion_fix_your_fire_stick_firetv_from_crashing/

In fire stick settings, forget your wifi network and if it is firetv, remove the ethernet if connected via that.
Open Kodi and now it will not crash since no network is available.
Go to Addons -> System -> Dependencies -> Go to URL Resolver and it would show status as "Update available".
Stay on this page and go to amazon firestick network settings and reconnect to your wifi / plug ethernet.
Once reconnected to your network, come back to Kodi screen which should be same as what you left at. Update the URL Resolver now and the issue would be fixed.

Probably less relevant given clean install:
I disabled network access whilst booting up then enabled it again after a minute. Then I went to my maintenance app and cleared the cache and purged packages. All fixed.