Viewer

Jul 31, 2017
When I suspend the box in Libreelec, it's wakes up fine if I leave it a short time. If I leave it overnight, when I wake it up the blue light illuminates on the box, but there is no image on the TV screen and the box doesn't respond to the remote. Is this a problem with my box?

Viewer

Jul 31, 2017
I think so. On LibreELEC it's 8.0.2.001, and on Android it's p212_userdebug 6.0.1 MHC19J 20170721 test-keys. I did have some initial problems due to interaction between the TV and the box via HDMI, but I cured this by disabling HDMI control on the TV (Sony Bravia). For the present problem, the box has the red light on in the morning as I left it the previous night, so I don't think it's been upset by anything received via HDMI. When I wake it up the blue light illuminates on the box, and there is no image on the TV screen and the box doesn't respond to the remote. Is "suspend" considered to be a stable state for LibreELEC on this box?

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
I've never used Suspend, sorry. Can other forum members let us know whether they use it, and if so, did previous LibreELEC versions have this issue, and do you experience the same issue running the latest update?

Viewer

Jul 31, 2017
Just to explain, I only use the box for Kodi and so prefer LibreELEC. I'd like to use "suspend" because it starts the box where I left it when I switched off, and it is an option in the power-off menu so presumably it is supported. The problem is (per my opening post) that after a long period of suspension (overnight) the box powers up and freezes with a blue light but no HDMI output. I thought I'd try "hibernate" as an alternative, which might solve the freezing on startup because the RAM isn't powered and hence subject to glitches when the box is off, but this doesn't work at all. (It is an option listed by Kodi and I used the Keymap Editor to activate it). If suspend or hibernate don't work reliably, then does that only leave full shutdown? If so, is there a way of getting rid of the "press Menu within 5s if you want Android" screen, that slows things down if you're like me and only want LibreELEC?

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
Suspend is a menu entry in LibreELEC's Kodi for all hardware, AFAIK. It could be that it isn't supported on all devices. Regarding the "press the Menu button" screen, it can't be disabled, no. I think it replaced a different image during boot up, so I'm not sure it adds any time to booting up.

Viewer

Jul 31, 2017
Hi ChrisM. I've been looking in the log files and see that Libreelec mysteriously runs at midnight and lists a load of "Notices". The box then seems to go back into suspension, but without entries in the log that indicate this is done properly (ie "OnSleep: Running sleep jobs" is missing). I think this is the problem, so do you know how to stop whatever causes the waking-up at midnight?

Viewer

Jul 31, 2017
Hi ChrisM. I got that wrong - I thought a new log file was consistently starting at midnight, but actually each file starts at the last reboot and attributes the initial time to 00:00:00:00 pending access to the correct time (presumably from the time server). So there isn't a mysterious start-up with new log at midnight. Sorry set you of in the wrong direction. I've tried to eliminate a few things that could be interfering with the suspended state (cron, automatic updates, CEC) but they've made no difference. Unfortunately there's no data added to the log when the box wakes up into a frozen state, so I can't tell what it's doing. When waking and working properly, there is an entry "ERROR: Keymapping error: no such action 'lirc.start' defined" but the box carries on into "NOTICE: OnWake: Running resume jobs" and then is fine.

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
I don't think this will effect whether Suspend works, but regarding the timestamp, can you check if "Wait for network before starting Kodi" is enabled (Program Add-ons>LibreELEC Configuration>Network) please? If it is, it may be the NTP isn't polled in time to set the clock before the log entries are created.

Viewer

Jul 31, 2017
Hi ChrisM. "Wait for network" is active with a maximum wait-time set to 10s. The log shows that after a reboot it takes 15-17s before the time is shown correctly so I reset the maximum wait-time to 20s, but it made no difference - ie the log file still takes 15-17s before it calibrates to the correct time. When the box successfully wakes from suspend the system time is correct, but I don't know what happens during an extended suspend such as gives rise to the box freezing upon waking up. I'm not sure what diagnostics there are to assess that.

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
Not sure where to go with this one, beyond seeing if our coders can find a way for Suspend to work. Regarding it being supported as it is present in the shutdown menu, I don't think the coders customize that menu, so it may just be that Suspend won't be supported.

ray_ingles

Dec 11, 2014
I'm a bit lost don't know how to post new question but I'm having a problem running ipvanish on libreelec. I've downloaded openvpn manager and filled in settings info no probs but when I go to connections to set primary VPN server I get a message saying UNABLE TO DOWNLOAD VPN PROVIDER FILES. It's driving me crazy I've uninstalled and reinstalled VPN manager several times with no change. VPN did work for a day but then couldn't connect and the above message started to appear. Can anyone help and save my sanity cheers

Last edited:

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
Check the Connections area in the LibreELEC Configuration program add-on, make sure it shows your device as connected to your network.
If it does show you as connected, try installing another video add-on from the official Kodi repository (YouTube or iPlayerWWW are my go to tests normally) and then playing a video stream.
In terms of the VPN Manager for OpenVPN, did the installation procedure match https://droidbox.co.uk/how-to/using-a-vpn-in-libreelec/ ?

ray_ingles

Dec 11, 2014
Thanks for the advice but I've done a LE reset and everything is working fine now time is correct and openvpn is working so I'm ecstatic. Once again thanks to those who helped out

Reactions: ChrisM