paulinthesun

Jul 16, 2014
Hi Guys welcome back where is the linux software build for the IMX 6 can not find the link that was on old forum

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
Done, please do let me know if there are any parts that aren't clear, or steps you think could do with a different type of explanation.
h**p:threads/firmware-upgrade-instructions-for-imx6-devices-mce-linux-firmware.57/

Last edited:

paulinthesun

Jul 16, 2014
HI Silently thanks for the link to software installed fine just a few questions 1. why dose it add the adult repo to the settings i think this should be address. 2.The standard skin why dose it have to have the most stupid back ground picture on it droidbox logo 3. also i have so meany add-on and can not delete from the list running the wizard just adds more. is there not just a basic Linux build that is just that. as the android i had you could do most things with regarding add-ons

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
1) I'll let the boss know about the adult repo, I doubt that was a deliberate step! It could have been a line copied and pasted into the wrong file.
2) Can you change the image via skin settings, or use a different skin? I've not tried that MCE build yet, so don't know how bad it is. It probably comes down to branding, but I'll pass your message on.
3) I seem to remember add-ons can't be deleted easily in MCE/Linux builds for the iMX6. You may have luck SSHing into the device and deleting the add-on files manually. I need to try and find the details for that procedure, as it was one of the threads lost when the forum went down.

paulinthesun

Jul 16, 2014
Hi Silently thanks for the replay,
1) No i don't think it was deliberate step it just i thought i would let you guys know as you know you can add then via wizard if needed
2) yes i have changed the skin but the one it loads is just very boring :confused:
3) i think i am going to need a foolproof guide on that one i will wait for that when you have time.

Thanks for your great support :)

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
Not yet, I'm still trying to recover the old posts that were lost on the previous version of this forum. If I can find the posts we made about SSHing into these devices, we'll have what we need. I'm trying to get this sorted, currently using old forum notification e-mails, but we're also installing something to trawl through old google caches, wayback machine's snapshots etc etc.

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
I've just checked through specifically for SSH in old e-mails, and not found a copy of the original post.
It looks as though a couple of members (aftos and waferguitars) from the old incarnation of this forum would be able to help us, but they haven't yet registered here.
[edit]
We'll get there, I'll just need to wait for warrick to start working its magic. ( https://code.google.com/p/warrick/ )

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
I've not given up, I'm wondering whether I can access old cached versions of the previous forum incarnation via TapATalk, I don't think I've used the app since the new forum, and if I turn off data and WiFi on my phone before starting the program, it might let me look at anything not cached. If it does, I'll look for SSH first.
Not getting very far with Warrick, too many errors are occurring right now.

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
OK, I'm not sure which firmware this applies to, but on one of them, the default user/pwd for SSH was root and letmein (all lower case, no spaces). Ah, hang on, in another place I've found them listed as admin and letmein . I'm assuming the port will be the default, and you'll know your DroidBOX's IP address obviously :)
Sorry this isn't complete, I've been extracting info from very old e-mails, and they aren't complete instructions.

Last edited:

paulinthesun

Jul 16, 2014
Hi Silently just tried the above using FileZilla and just can not enter in to box had the doidbox ip address OK, even sent a ping to box and received back 4 OK pings back but can not get into box tried it on an old M3 box and have gained access to root using the root and letmein so i am stuck now, is filezilla OK to use on iMX6 boxes

Ahmed

Aug 14, 2014
Hi,There

can you send me a snapshot what it shows you and be sure from the driodbox ip because if its not the right one it will not work

Thanks
Ahmed

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
Paul, I've started from scratch and flashed my iMX6 with the MCE firmware from above (April 2014). Logged in OK.
I'll run through the steps, just to see if perhaps we've approached this differently, and hence me accessing the device via SSH, but you not being able to.

Flashed the firmware from the link above.
On first boot up, you get a series of set up screens.
On one of these, I had to enable SSH access, I think just FTP was the original selection.
After completing the set up procedure, and making sure the device was on my home network, I opened up an SSH client, and entered
192.168.1.104 (obviously this will be different on your device) as the IP address. I left the port as default (22).
I then entered root for the username and letmein for the password and click login (I'm using the Bivise SSH client - https://www.bitvise.com/ssh-client-download - but I've not heard of filezilla being a problematic client before).
Connected fine, was able to ls etc.

At this point, I'm hoping it is just that initial setup screen where you didn't notice that SSH access had to be allowed.
If that is the case, it should be quite easy to fix. From XBMC's main screen, click on Programs, and then AMLinux Configuration. Click on Services, then make sure the Enable SSH radio button is blue. Return to XBMC's homescreen - I'm not sure, you may need to power down and start up your MCE iMX6 again before the setting takes hold. When in doubt... reboot :)

If you could follow the steps above, and let me know if you see anything different on your screen (in which case you probably have a different firmware in place on your MCE right now) we'll get to the bottom of this.

rangerGR

Jul 29, 2014
Hello.
Are there any plans of updating iMX6 (linux version) to xbmc 13?
I am using xbmc 13.2 in my linux pc and is very stable but iMX6 hasn't been updated since last April. There are plenty of 13.x roms available online for amlogic cpu but I would like something official.

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
We know of a working Gotham firmware, but we don't yet have one of our own. As it isn't official, we'll not post the link publicly (as we don't support it), but if you send an e-mail to [email protected] , with a link to your post - http://www.droidboxforums.com/posts/1168 - and mention that SilentlyScreaming said to pass on the non-DroidBOX iMX6 MCE Gotham firmware, we'll send it to you. If you want the DroidBOX Wizard add-on address, include your original order details (order ID (very long number from Amazon or eBay) and your account ID with Amazon/eBay).