caistu

May 29, 2015
Will M5 be able to update to Lollipop 5.0 eventually or will it be stuck with Kitkat 4.2.2?

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
Thanks for your interest. No, I've not heard of any plans to update the M5 to Lollipop. If an update is possible and made, it'll be posted about over at https://DroidBOX.co.uk/blog/ .
[edit]
Once your warranty runs out, if you're happy taking a small risk, you may find there are 3rd party firmwares for your device. S805 would be a keyword to include in any googling. Please note any damage done by 3rd party firmware wouldn't be something we could assist with.

Stargazer

Apr 4, 2017
Bit miffed as I have the m5 just over a year old and now got to ditch it, as the android version 4.4.2 cannot be updated. So new Kodi 17 cannot be installed or run on it. Yes there are hacks for doing it, but I've read that even if successful, the box is unstable and runs sluggish. Not buying these boxes with android anymore. Ether going for a windows based system or just using my laptop hooked up to TV from now on.

Nigelar

Feb 26, 2015
There is absolutely no need to ditch your box right now just because it runs android 4.4.2.
I have an old droidbox t8 running 4.4.2. Runs perfectly.

Reactions: ChrisM