steve bagnall

Oct 16, 2014
can some one help recomend qhich droid box is easiest to use wanting sports and movies mainley q7 been recomended

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
I'd go with the M8 or Q7 personally. If you need a webcam, or will be using an HDMI switch with your TV, go for the Q7, otherwise, the M8. The M8 has better specs in terms of CPU and GPU (main brain and graphics brain if tech terms aren't your forte). If you're likely to get a 4K TV in the next couple of years (the next step up from 1080p displays), get the M8.

Does anyone else have a different perspective?

Reactions: turfkicker

Paul B

Jul 15, 2014
I've got a Q7 but like you, I was a bit confused about what device to buy. I settled on the Q7 as I thought I may use the camera at some point but if I'm honest I have never used the webcam on my laptop so it's a feature that I will probably never use. That being said, it was really straightforward to set up and apart from the occasional glitch or hang (which I usually sort out by turning it off then on again) it's been really good and very easy to operate. I don't know if the processors in the other devices are better suited with regards to graphics or audio but the Q7 does what it says on the tin and is a great device.

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
(reminder to myself, I need to find the half-finished draft of a post about Q7s... if you decide you want to put the webcam to some sort of use, you can install an app, and configure the Q7 to behave like a security camera whilst you're at work!)
Thanks for taking the time to let Steve know your thoughts Paul.

Paul B

Jul 15, 2014
No problem Chris and what a brilliant idea about the webcam. I was actually looking around for an IP camera for that very reason so if you could recommend an app that would be great. I think that idea would be a very good selling point in your ebay and amazon ads.

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
I set up something similar-ish in the early 2000s. We lived out in the countryside, in Bourton-on-the-Water. The ground floor was a garage originally, but had been converted to storage space. For various legal reasons, the landlady couldn't advertise it as living or inhabitable space or something, but it became a 2nd living room (small, tall and thin cottage) where I could smoke, play my music and have friends round without annoying my wife. However the ex-garage doors could be easily forced open, and I had all my A/V and PC gadgets in there. So... with an early digital camera hooked up as a webcam, a PC that was running Kazaa 24/7 (you had to on a 56k dial up line :) ) and my T68i mobile phone, if the area of the webcam's view that encompassed the doors saw movement, it quit Kazaa (for the bandwidth), started taking pictures that were sent to a remote server, and took videos that I could try and watch on my phone before the PC was stolen :)
Luckily, it never saw action in a real scenario, it was more of a project to integrate various software and hardware and see what could be done.

Anyway, I digress... I've not found the txt file yet, but searching through my previous Play Store downloads, it looks like I was using https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rcreations.ipcamviewerBasic
It took a bit configuration to get working, and I was only able to test it on my home network. Despite port forwarding, either my home internet connection had some ports blocked, or more likely my mobile network provider was blocking me. Worth a play with, anyway.

Paul B

Jul 15, 2014
Now that's clever! I will have a nose round and see if I can sort something out. Like I say, PC or software configs are not my strong point. Resistors, IC's and capacitors I was for more comfortable with but coupled with SM technology and eyesight not as good as it used to be, the soldering iron rarely comes out to play these days

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
Exactly the same here. I started off as tea-boy in a TV repair shop, but SM fiddly little things and the fact that the soldering iron I have over here has a tendency to drop the tip into whatever is most fragile or painful, it rarely gets extracted from the drawer.
Give me a nudge if you get stuck with the software, but there isn't anything too difficult to figure out, just nose around all the different settings. If you set up something using your LAN to test it (Q7>phone/tablet), and then try it via your mobile phone network, don't forget the bandwidth may be lower, so you may have to drop the quality/FPS/resolution to get good results. Assuming all three are variables you can adjust, it has been a few months since I looked at the app.

Mat

Jul 15, 2014
I ended up with the X7 and I do enjoy it most times

as for sports on normal apps, good luck with that, its very hit and miss.

I,m messing about with p2p and DroidBOX wizard sets it up for you so that bits easy
just click on top link I think, and let it install, said something about warning 3rd party whatsits but they are working for the most part, still low quality, but it is way better than the none p2p apps, just keep messing and have fun