ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
If you are comfortable using a Windows PC and configuring/checking your DroidBOX, then the following may be of interest:

The DroidBOX T8-S (currently running the KitKat release of Android) has a new firmware for TESTING. This Lollipop (5.1 in this case) release is not yet considered an official release.
What does this mean? You may come across errors in untested scenarios, where issues prevent normal media playback/application processes from occurring.

Those errors will need to be reported, so they can be fixed/a workaround discovered.

If you're not comfortable using new programs on your Windows PC, or consider uninterrupted smooth operation on your device to be critical, please wait for this firmware to (hopefully!) past testing.

If there is no way you can find/borrow an SD card for flashing this test release, again please wait.

Anyone else who is interested, please send an e-mail to [email protected] with
T8-S Firmware Testing Forum Volunteer
nice and clear in the subject line. Also include your original order ID/reference number. If you can't locate that then please include as much info about your order (postcode, email address used etc).
We need testers who are willing and able to precisely communicate issues, so if your e-mail indicates you're not totally comfortable with testing procedures and reporting info/testing theories, please take no insult if your application is not taken any further.

Applications via e-mail only please.

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
We've had a few updated versions restarting the process, major kinks gone, Amazon Video now working, Kodi OK so far, 1080p testing occurring now. Issue is that if a problem is found, the testing mostly restarts with the newer test build.

Minkbomb

Sep 5, 2015
I sent in my mac and serial no's so hopefully I'll get to play with the new stuff lol .

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
It will be this coming Tuesday now (bank holidays), but at least that is a solid date. Delays are regrettable, but unavoidable in this case. Thanks to those that offered, I'll be responding to them on the 29th March with a link and the process required.

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
Right, the Lollipop firmware didn't pass internal testing. For now, we're moving focus back to KitKat. This isn't the end, just a pause until we can get a better image together.

There is however a new OTA update for T8-S customers, not yet publicized. Run the OTA Updater application as normal and it should appear.

Not the news I wanted to bring here, but no point in testing code already found to have issues preventing public release.

Reactions: thegazsheard

thegazsheard

Dec 7, 2015
So far so good, like the new look! I've emailed with regards to the HDD too. Keep up the great work guys

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Reactions: ChrisM

Minkbomb

Sep 5, 2015
Any further news ? Recieved an email a few days ago asking if i was still interested in testing which i replied to but heard nothing since ?

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
URL received, e-mail needs to be written. SD card will be required, and a Windows PC (not sure if WINE will be OK if using a Linux based PC). 99% there now, checking on how card needs to be prepared, in case changing from KitKat to Lollipop alters things.

ChrisM

Staff member
Jul 15, 2014
Cardiff, UK
ChrisMerriman.com
Everyone in this thread, and anyone previously registered as official beta testers will now find they have access to a new sub-forum: T8-S Firmware Beta Testing

I'll be posting up a quick warning thread, then a thread with details for flashing this Lollipop beta fw to your device.
I'll also e-mail everyone who has a record of interest, so if you get the e-mail and also belong to the forum, let me know and I'll add you to the new sub-forum.
As this isn't an official release, we're keeping this new section private until results are in.

paul rawlings

Jan 13, 2016
done all the steps in the email but the aml_upgrade_package.img will not install it just sites on the droidbox logo and wont go any further

Reactions: Minkbomb